Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-630xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC is Optane-enabled (16 GB). It crashed and wouldn't reboot following a power outage. A data recovery service was able to recover most of my data but told me the hard drive needed replacing (the original drive was a Western Digital Blue Label 1TB drive). I swapped out the damaged hard drive with a brand new Western Digital Blue Label 2 TB drive and tried to boot the computer using a bootable USB drive created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Before inserting the USB drive, i turned on the computer and pressed F10. Under the storage tab, there was an option for specifying the "boot order". I selected USB Hard Drive under the UEFI settings, accepted and saved the new settings and exited. The computer then restarted. However, it did not boot. Instead I got a blue screen display that showed the following:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk - (3FO)

F2 - System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit:

http://www'hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Questions:

1. Is my system even seeing the bootable USB drive? It doesn't seem like that to me, and I don't know why.

2. Is the problem with the media creation setup on the USB drive, i.e., do I need to try to download and reinstall the media creation tool on the drive?

3. Is Optane somehow preventing the system from using the bootable USB drive?

4. Assuming the drive, data on the drive and Optane are all ok, is there something else i need to do to get the computer to recognize the USB drive and reinstall Windows 10?

Very frustrating. Any help or insights would be gratefully appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not a big fan of Optane cache drives. I would have removed the Optane drive and replaced with a 500 GB or1 TB M.2 NVME drive. Install Windows on this device, no need for Optane.

I would enter the BIOS with no external drives connected to the PC, start the PC, tap "ESC", then select "F10".

Check storage devices. You should see the Optane drive (16GB or 32 GB) and the new 2 TB HDD. You should set Storage Options to AHCI if you remove the Optane drive.

Now, on to the USB boot device problem. I would select "F9" at startup to select a one time boot device option to temporarily boot to the UEFI USB flash drive (not a USB HDD) to start the W10 installation. The USB drive may not support UEFI if the drive is not in the UEFI boot device submenu.

The W10 setup should start if you created a UEFI W10 installation USB drive. If you created this USB drive on an older PC and you did not select create this media for a different PC, the drive may not support UEFI mode. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a go.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.