Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Ok, so I know this is probably  beginner stuff for a lot of you out there but I have an old HP Compaq 6200 pro small pc connected to a tv to stream movies and go on social medias. I'm trying to install windows 10 on it and when its almost done installing I get the Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation can not proceed. I did look it up online and the most popular solution is to access the BIOS and to disable the secure boot option but there is no such option on this computer.. So how I am suppose to Install Windows?  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @nicoboy_99 

This is a sticky problem. I have not installed W8x or W10 on a Legacy BIOS using MBR in about 7 or 8 years.

Are you creating W10 install media on a different PC? I always make sure the W10 installation media can be used with other PCs for compatibility. W10 install media created on a UEFI/GPT PC, only for that PC, may not work on a Legacy/MBR PC.

Your PC seems to only support MBR. Secure boot options don't exist.

Older versions of W10 could be installed using MBR or GPT. I am installing W11 on UEFI Secure Boot/TPM PCs these days.

Normally W10 UEFI installation media expecting GPT would immediately fail if the drives were set as MBR from a prior Legacy OS installation. But you are seeing an error at the end of the installation process.

Maybe @Paul_Tikkanen can shed some light here. He tinkers with Legacy HP PCs.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi:

The only thing I can suggest if you have not done so already, would be to boot your USB W10 installation flash drive from the PC's EFI USB boot source. 

While the HP 6200 Pro does not support Secure Boot, it does have a UEFI BIOS, and you can Install W10 in UEFI mode on a GPT-formatted drive. 

I have Installed W10 in UEFI mode on 2 HP 6200 Pro MT's with no problem. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Tikkanen 

This PC supports UEFI? That's good.

I saw a 2014 BIOS update. Nothing to indicate UEFI BIOS support in the "Fixes".

Checked W8 drivers and saw the Older Vision Diagnostics.

So I incorrectly assumed a Legacy BIOS.

Maybe a failing storage device or some other hardware problem (RAM) if a UEFI USB boot installation procedure also fails?

Regards

HP Recommended

I guess anything is possible, Bill.

The PC shipped with a UEFI BIOS when first introduced to market in early 2011.

What I usually do to install W10 on that model and the 8200 Elite (an upscale 6200 Pro, is to download the W10 ISO file instead of letting the media creation tool automatically create the bootable USB flash drive, and then I use the free Rufus utility to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

I set up the Rufus menu exactly as shown in the website illustration for installing Windows on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Never had an issue installing W10 or W11 on either model using the above method.

To install W11 on an old PC like the 6200 Pro, you need to use the Rufus 3.18 version which has an option to bypass the W11 hardware checks.  That option was removed on subsequent Rufus versions.

The 8200 Elite and 6200 Pro both work just fine on W11.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.