Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Z600. Just tried to install Windows again. Computer does not recognize a keystroke from a media keyboard during the boot sequence. I get the message "Hit any key to boot from CD" but keys strokes are not recognized.

If I replace the keyboard with a generic one. the computer accepts key strokes during boot up.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JamesRB3 

IF the alternate keyboard works but the HP one does not, then clearly, this is a keyboard problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When installing from a optical medium you might get an very old Windows Build and at the first update the trouble begins.

Microsoft has updated the Media Creation Tool last week and you get a fresh Windows from October 2021.

Use that and prepare a USB stick. That saves you time and trouble

HP Recommended

@JamesRB3 

IF you're using a Windows DVD, then as @VH2000 indicated, this could be a very old version of Windows 10 -- and after install, MS will tie your PC up for hours and hours with Windows Updates.  So, creating newer install media on a USB stick is the way to go.

But ... you will still need to use the generic keyboard as it sounds like the HP keyboard has failed.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I downloaded the latest Windows.iso from Microsoft.

I have 3 of these HP media keyboards and have the same issue with all of them.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the keyboard driver not loading until Windows has booted up.  I have the latest keyboard driver from HP. I guess the logical step would be to ask HP support for a solution.

HP Recommended

Do you have an old PS/2 keyboard to check if it is a driver or USB issue?

HP Recommended

As I reported in an earlier post, a generic keyboard works fine.

3 of these keyboards exhibit the same symptoms so it isn't a keyboard failure.

HP Recommended

Ok, then you have to add the driver to the boot.wim. But what is the sense of this? Just for one new installation?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.