5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can't boot into Winddows 10

PAV 590-p0081c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I paused Windows 10 updating for 3 weeks, then put  computer to sleep.  Tried later to awaken from sleep & received message that it had shut down abnormally & files were being rebuilt. After that, HP Diagnostics app appeared.  I tried all suggestions but couldn't get past that app into Win 10.  I booted up into the BIOS by continually pressing ESC during startup & tested most of available options but there didn't seem to  be any hardware or memory issues.  Trying to boot up in Safe Mode just brought me  back to the HP Diagnostics app.  

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,424 107,605 17,048 26,102
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

If you don't have any important files on there, you can, with another Windows PC and a 32 GB USB flash drive make a bootable recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool.

Here is an info link on how to use that utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the rapid reply. I'll try implementing the solution over this weekend.  I do have important files hopefully backed up by File History and an external drive.  Is there any way to get my computer working without destroying these files?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're very welcome.

If you want to recover your files stored on the PC, you can clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' install it over the current Windows partition, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After Windows has completed installing, you can explore the Windows,old folder, find your old user profile and you can copy your files and folders to the new profile or or a portable hard drive.

Then you can use the cloud recovery tool to set the drive to its 'out of the box condition, or leave it the way it is.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm not sure what is meant by "old user profile" or how to find it.

Also, the instructions at Microsoft don't talk about a Windows partition.  It seems to "find" it automatically (I think).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

During the installation process, Windows is going to ask 'Where do you want to install Windows.'

See item 18...

https://www.techblazing.com/how-to-install-windows-10/

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1588977508027.png

When you install windows over the current Windows installation, it creates a Window.old folder.

You go to this PC>C:\>Windows.old>Users, and there you will find your old user profile.

Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have 5 drive 0 partitions.  Partition 3 is labeled "Windows."  "Type"  =  Primary.  Is that the one to install Windows in?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, you want to install Windows over the partition 3 Windows partition and it should create a Windows.old folder.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you so much for your help, patience & promptness in replying.  Windows has now  been installed & files accessed via Windows.old.  Now I have to download all previous applications.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation