Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7800

I just got this used desktop from college and want to set it up for my daughter.  The drive has been formatted with no existing OS (I have win 10) to install.  However I keep getting Bootmgr file missing and no ms dos commands work so can’t check the disk, partition or install windows.  I’ve checked the cables and everything is connected correctly, have used parted magic to create a disk partition but just got a constant scrolling screen.  Tried Hiren’s boot disk but 😢 nothing!  Tried to download Bootmgr file but NOTHING..... anyone got any ideas on how to fix this issue please?  I’m on a very tight budget hence the very old desktop system was an attractive option but not if I can’t get it working, it’s just junk!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Try    https://lubuntu.net/downloads/   as an OS temporarily.

It does not need to install, it runs from DVD/USB.

You can try formatting and setting up a Hard Disk ready for W10.

Or installing it as a DUAL boot alongside any Windows install that you manage to create.

LubGparted.png

W10 would want to be Secure Boot and GPT in the BIOS.  

HP Recommended

Hi

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

W8 Repair.png

From either the C:\ or the X:\ prompt try the following

cd boot
bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBCD

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have tried them all but get not a COM32 image message then boot: with flashing cursor.  Lubuntu software download says it's out of date.  Surely it can't be this hard?

Oh and I am responding to you from another account as HP account won't let me log in 😠

I'm open to further suggestions.

Thank you once again.

HP Recommended

Hi

I don't understand the out of date message.

From  what where who.

If the suggestion is that you have a date in the bios for 2000 or 1970 then yes.

Distrowatch.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.