Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Envy 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used the HP Utility to Create Recovery Media using DVDs.  The first disk OK.  The second was a little finicky, requiring a couple of starts, restarts, etc. but finally executed OK according to the software.  However, the third will not begin at all.  I've gone through three different new DVDs, thinking perhaps one was flawed.  I've rebooted and restarted the app numerious times.  It always recognizes the fact that the process has already begun, and only the last disk needs to be done.  It just doesn't do it.  Nothing happens.  From sound, there is no disk access going on.

Based on the trouble with Disk #2, and even if I can get Disk #3 to "work," I really have low confidence that this set of disks will work when needed.

How do I "eradicate" this failed effort so I can try fresh, this time with a single USB stick?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

3rd Disk Is being created now.  I put in a FOURTH unformatted DVD and went through the procedure, and it worked. (so far).  Have no idea what explains my difficulties up until this point.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Curmudgeon10, welcome to the forum.

I have asked the appropriate people at HP to see what they can do to help you solve your problem.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

OK, thanks!

HP Recommended

While you are waiting for HP to contact you, you might want to consider using a third part tool known as Macrium Reflect to create Recovery Media for you.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB stick, or DVDs in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sounds very interesting.  I would say I think I'll try it, except it might give HP an excuse not to address the problem with my situation.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

3rd Disk Is being created now.  I put in a FOURTH unformatted DVD and went through the procedure, and it worked. (so far).  Have no idea what explains my difficulties up until this point.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sound like you did not use the right/standard blank +R DVD's. Anyway, you won't be able to create the second set. Now please keep the 1 set in a safe place and hoe you won't need it in future.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Perhaps.  But each DVD I tried was pulled from a stack of identical ones I purchased a few months ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.