Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline E5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All.  I am attempting to reset Windows 10, but am unable to complete the process.  After it starts the reset process, I am asked to select my keyboard layout.  However, I cannot complete this action because the USB keyboard and mouse are not functional at that point in the reset process.  It appears neither of them have power at this time in the process.

Things I have checked so far:

1.  All updates have been applied.

2.  Drivers for all devices are current.

3.  Have attempted to connect through other USB ports.  None of the USB ports appear to be functional at this point.

4.  My desktop computer does not have a PS/2 port that would allow me to connect a non USB keyboard.

5.  Keyboard and mouse are fully functional after "undoing" reset process.  (I am typing this question on the computer)

Any thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AlleninNM Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to reset the PC due to keyboard and mouse are not working.

• Please, when it was working before.
  • Have you tried to roll back the drivers and checked?

Turn off the computer. 

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

Please update the BIOS and check for the issue.

Please refer the following link to reset your computer

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping me with this issue.  

The keyboard and mouse still work.  I am typing this message on the keyboard right now.  The problem arises when the computer is going through the reset of the OS, the keyboard and mouse no longer work and I cannot then select my keyboard layout and then complete the reset process.  In fact it appears none of the USB ports have power to them at this point in the reset process.

I can then turn off the computer and restart the computer and the reset process terminates and returns my computer to exactly they way it was before I attempted to reset the OS.  

I have checked for an update to the BIOS and have taken the steps you described above.  The reset process still will not work because the keyboard and mouse are not functional during that step of the process.

Thanks for your assistance.  What should I try next?

HP Recommended

Sounds weird. Almost like Windows isn't loading USB3.0 drivers, but that only happens in Win7, not Win10.

Try another way: Turn pc off, turn on and keep tapping ESC. from the menu, hit F11. Then choose troubleshooting, advanced, then HP System Recovery. Follow the prompts.

Does that work?

HP Recommended

Thanks for checking on this.  So when I hit Esc during HP Boot Screen, it takes me to the Boot Menu, where I can select a boot device.  Hitting F11 while that menu is open does not do anything.  

If I hit F11 during the HP Boot Screen, it is supposed to take me to System Recovery.  But it does nothing.  If I hit F10, it takes me to the Setup Menu.  If I hit F9, it takes me to Diagnostics, which it shows passing on all item.  If I hit Ctrl S during boot screen, it takes me to the Setup Menu.

I have also gone to the HP website for my device and looked for driver and BIOS update.  After looking for drivers and updates it says "We were unable to find drivers for your product."  Not that all drivers are up to date, but that it can't find any drivers.

HP Recommended

@AlleninNM

Thank you for the information.

I would suggest you roll back the BIOS and check.

Press the Windows key and then followed by the key "B" this time and then the power button for around 3-4 seconds, then release the power button and continue to hold windows+B for 3-4 seconds more.

Please refer to the following link to recovering BIOS.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.