Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc 7800
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to upgrade the operating system on my HP Compaq dc 7800 from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit. I already used the Microsoft official upgrade tool to upgrade from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit, but I cannot upgrade to 64-bit edition of Windows 10. I used the media creation tool provided by Microsoft to create a bootable USB drive, with which i intended to install the new operating system. But whenever i try to boot from that USB drive, the process fails. I get the "Attempting to boot from USB" prompt, which is followed by a black screen with blinking underscore in the top left corner of the screen; after a while, the computer restarts. I have tried booting from the same USB drive on another PC (HP 4600 Workstation), on which it boots perfectly fine.

Thank you for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Download the W10 x64 ISO file instead and use the Microsoft tool I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

I have a dc7800 CMT, and that is how I installed W10 Pro x64.

When you get to the part that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Download the W10 x64 ISO file instead and use the Microsoft tool I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

I have a dc7800 CMT, and that is how I installed W10 Pro x64.

When you get to the part that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Did you find all of the drivers you need for W10?

Usually there is a PCI Simple Communications Controller and PCI Serial Port device that need drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.