Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to reset and remove all data from my HP Pavilion 690.  When I try to do so from the setting>recovery option, it fails.  So I try to do it from the advanced startup menu from USB drive.  When the PC restarts it will not display on my monitor, which states "Input not supported." This input not supported issue only happens when I'm trying to restart from usb or when I'm trying to start in safe mode or when trying to do anything before the windows 10 login page.  If the PC makes it to the login page, it will display and I can login and everything is fine, display works, etc.  But I cannot reset the PC as it fails.  I am using an Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS monitor that has no problems with other PCs or on initial startup with Windows 10.

Please advise. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @v62ny3

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

How was the reset attempted, did you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11) or did you use the HP recovery media? 

If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I used the recovery media.  

When I try to reset from the recovery menu in settings, that fails. 

When I try to reset it from the advanced troubleshooter, the display does dark and my monitor says input not supported and I can't do anything from there.  If I restart it from there then the monitor works fine and it brings me to where I log in to my windows account, but I want to factory reset the pc.

HP Recommended

I suggest you run a System Test and share the results-

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Test

HP Recommended

I cannot run a System Test.

When I try to do anything during the startup process, my monitor says input not supported until the PC arrives at the windows login screen.

HP Recommended

Hard reset a desktop or All-in-One PC

1. Turn off the computer. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

2. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the Power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator, which is on the power button or near it, might turn on briefly but then it goes off.

3. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the computer.

Then try and run the test.

HP Recommended

I have a hp 15 notebook that I forgot password and pi. 

I would like to save the data but it's not manditory

HP Recommended

@sammieboss
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This still not help.

I did the hard reset, but still when I try to start up the pc and press esc repeatedly to get to the startup menu, i get a black screen on my monitor that says input not supported. I cannot see nor do anything from there.  Then if i stop pressing esc and wait, it just sits at the black screen saying input not supported still.

HP Recommended

@v62ny3

Thank you for posting back. 

The message "Input Not Supported" usually means the display resolution that is set in Windows does not match the resolution the monitor recognizes

• Have you tried with different HDMI cable or monitor?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.