cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
20 9 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Cannot get HP Desktop to boot from CD

HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the years I have worked with a number of PC Machines without too many problems. However I have run into a problem with my

HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop

that problem is driving me nuts. I want my machine to boot from a CD. I have tried various online versions of how to go about it, but so far nada. The primary way should be go to settings/update and security/recovery/restart to then go into uefi settings after the restart. No matter what I try I get nothing. It will not boot from cd. So this 80 year old man could sure use some help here. Many thanks.      Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,008 112,188 17,998 27,467
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your PC originally came with Windows 8 from HP, you may have to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in order to boot from a DVD.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 9 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply. It does work, but still have a problem. After I go through the procedure it did boot up from the CD/DVD. After that I did not make any subsequent changes or revert back to former setup. Just left it with the changes. However, when I restart the machine now it still won't Boot from the CD/DVD. So it apparently is just allowing the one time to boot from the CD/DVD. That doesn't make much sense. So any idea why this is happening? Thanks again.      Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not.

If you made those changes and saved them in the BIOS, you should be able to boot from a CD/DVD anytime you press the ESC key and then the F9 key.

You should not have to go into the BIOS and mess with the legacy mode/secure boot settings again.

You will never be able to pop in a CD\DVD, turn the PC on and have it automatically boot from the CD/DVD.

The Windows boot manager trumps all other boot devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 9 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This 80 year old hard head is finally getting the picture, thanks to you guys. But I am still going around and around with something I can't seem to understand completely. First off let me explain that I am wanting to install Linux Mint along side Windows 10. Should not be a  great problem, but for me it has developed that way. I have my CD/DVD Disk with the Linux Mint ISO written on it. All went well there. Yesterday I tried to install into a partition I set up for the Linux Mint. It went thru the entire process, but nothing was actually being copied to that partition. I am guessing the install went into a cloud somewhere because none of it showed up in my machine. So apparently I need help with choosing the right or proper settings for installing on my machine. I hope this all makes sense. Guys I still need some help here. Many thanks as always.     Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Loy.

I recommend you start a new topic on that issue because I have no idea how to dual boot Linux with Windows.

Paul

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation