Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the years I have worked with a number of PC Machines without too many problems. However I have run into a problem with my

HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop

that problem is driving me nuts. I want my machine to boot from a CD. I have tried various online versions of how to go about it, but so far nada. The primary way should be go to settings/update and security/recovery/restart to then go into uefi settings after the restart. No matter what I try I get nothing. It will not boot from cd. So this 80 year old man could sure use some help here. Many thanks.      Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your PC originally came with Windows 8 from HP, you may have to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in order to boot from a DVD.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply. It does work, but still have a problem. After I go through the procedure it did boot up from the CD/DVD. After that I did not make any subsequent changes or revert back to former setup. Just left it with the changes. However, when I restart the machine now it still won't Boot from the CD/DVD. So it apparently is just allowing the one time to boot from the CD/DVD. That doesn't make much sense. So any idea why this is happening? Thanks again.      Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not.

If you made those changes and saved them in the BIOS, you should be able to boot from a CD/DVD anytime you press the ESC key and then the F9 key.

You should not have to go into the BIOS and mess with the legacy mode/secure boot settings again.

You will never be able to pop in a CD\DVD, turn the PC on and have it automatically boot from the CD/DVD.

The Windows boot manager trumps all other boot devices.

HP Recommended

This 80 year old hard head is finally getting the picture, thanks to you guys. But I am still going around and around with something I can't seem to understand completely. First off let me explain that I am wanting to install Linux Mint along side Windows 10. Should not be a  great problem, but for me it has developed that way. I have my CD/DVD Disk with the Linux Mint ISO written on it. All went well there. Yesterday I tried to install into a partition I set up for the Linux Mint. It went thru the entire process, but nothing was actually being copied to that partition. I am guessing the install went into a cloud somewhere because none of it showed up in my machine. So apparently I need help with choosing the right or proper settings for installing on my machine. I hope this all makes sense. Guys I still need some help here. Many thanks as always.     Loy Banks

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Loy.

I recommend you start a new topic on that issue because I have no idea how to dual boot Linux with Windows.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.