Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G0
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Although HP does not support Windows 10 beyond Build 1709 on this model I thought I'd try upgrading from Windows 7 as I had had success on much older HP laptops. I used the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant but this failed with a BSOD "System Thread Exception Not Handled", but no further information. No crash dump was available even though I checked that dumping worked by forcing a BSOD. When the upgrade was backed out and Windows 7 rebooted the error code that was presented was 0xC1900101-0x30017.

Prior to the upgrade I had installed the latest BIOS as presented by HP Support Assistant. So far I have disabled in the BIOS both Bluetooth and the fingerprint hardware and have also uninstalled all of the Cyberlink products.

I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has upgraded to Build 1903 either directly from Windows 7 or from another build of Windows 10 on this model. Failing that any suggestions as to how to find out what piece of hardware or software may be causing the failure.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I know that the HP ProtectTools software is not supported in W10, so if you have that installed, uninstall all of the Protecttools plugins and then uninstall the HP ProtectTools security software.

What you could try is an older build of W10 and then update that to a newer one.

This site has every build of W10 ever released.  Click on the Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe link.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt response..

I had encountered issues with HP ProtectTools when upgrading an HP desktop & had to uninstall them first. Not installed on this laptop.

Your suggestion to upgrade to an earlier build of W10 was my next move as I hoped that an attempt to then go to build 1903 would at least give me more information if that failed.

Will report back on progress, though the upgrade of this laptop has gone down in my priorities.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, an older W10 build will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.