Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In HP Support Assistant, have recieved multiple notices about a BIOS update, most recently starting in January, suspended and resumed in February. Since then I've downloaded, installed (successfully), multiple times. The notification reccurs. Turns out that the update, supposedly successful, did not actually occur. The current BIOS version is F.12 dated 6/22/17. The new downloaded version is F.42. I tried using the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tool. Although the Firmware Maintenance option is available it apparently is hardcoded to look only at partitions other than the C:\ drive's. I also looked back in history (Support Assistant) and found that the prior BIOS update (July '17) was also "successful" (3 times). So, I don't know where to go here. Can I simply copy the folder the Support Assistant saved on my C:\ drive to a USB drive and use the UEFI tool to update the BIOS. Or, is there a reason the BIOS won't (or shouldn't) update in the first first place? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@waseba3 

Stop trying to use the HP Support Assistant to update the BIOS.

If there is a new BIOS for your machine (some model of "Envy"), the information should be found in the computer's Website Software and Driver Support pages for your Operating System.

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select a Category

For example, open the Software and Drivers category

Expand the list and look for BIOS

Only update the BIOS if you have reason to believe the update will resolve an issue on your computer.

Read any instructions before installing a BIOS update.

IMPORTANT

All BIOS updates include an element of risk.

Only update the BIOS after you have backed up your most critical files to a location you can access in the event that the computer becomes unavailable.  This means, back up your most important files / data to the Cloud, to a USB drive, "somewhere" you can access the data if your computer cannot be used.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you decide to update the BIOS, open the Website support page for your BIOS update,

Download and save the file to your Downloads folder on your computer.

If your computer is a notebook, connect the computer to AC power for the entire Update process.  (Do not update the BIOS while running on battery.)

Discontinue all other programs / software (email, open programs, etc).

Navigate to the Downloads folder on your computer and find the downloaded executable.

Right-Click on the file and "run as Administrator".

Let the Update install - watch and follow the prompts.

Reference

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@waseba3 

Stop trying to use the HP Support Assistant to update the BIOS.

If there is a new BIOS for your machine (some model of "Envy"), the information should be found in the computer's Website Software and Driver Support pages for your Operating System.

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select a Category

For example, open the Software and Drivers category

Expand the list and look for BIOS

Only update the BIOS if you have reason to believe the update will resolve an issue on your computer.

Read any instructions before installing a BIOS update.

IMPORTANT

All BIOS updates include an element of risk.

Only update the BIOS after you have backed up your most critical files to a location you can access in the event that the computer becomes unavailable.  This means, back up your most important files / data to the Cloud, to a USB drive, "somewhere" you can access the data if your computer cannot be used.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you decide to update the BIOS, open the Website support page for your BIOS update,

Download and save the file to your Downloads folder on your computer.

If your computer is a notebook, connect the computer to AC power for the entire Update process.  (Do not update the BIOS while running on battery.)

Discontinue all other programs / software (email, open programs, etc).

Navigate to the Downloads folder on your computer and find the downloaded executable.

Right-Click on the file and "run as Administrator".

Let the Update install - watch and follow the prompts.

Reference

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the guidance Dragon-Fur. I looked at Software and Drivers and found a BIOS. However, the version was not as new as the one the Support Assistant was trying to install. I took your advice and decided had no actual reason to update my BIOS at all. First, if HP can't update their own support site with a "security" release I don't really see a good argument as to why I should install it on my PC. And, their BIOS update listed non-detailed "security enhancements" as content but no information as to what they actually fix or how serious the "hole" was. So, I'm going to take a 'wait and see' approach. I'll readdress doing an update if I find a reason for one. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@waseba3 

You are welcome.

The HPSA has (reported) occasional problems pulling the BIOS for Update.  Included in the difficulties:  The BIOS version farmed by trhe HPSA does not match what is available in the computer's own website support pages.

Best to err on the side of caution.  Trust what you can see and verify.

You can always ask if you are unsure.

Happy Computing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.