Did you mean: 
CraigerM
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Clean Install Of Windows 10 On HP All In One PC

HP Recommended

Hi.  I have never had an all in one pc before.  I have done a clean install on a laptop and a mini tower before.  Will doing a clean in stall on an all in one be the same way?  I don't need to do clean install now I was just curious.  I have made a Windows 10 USB Flash Drive from their Windows 10 ISO site.  Thanks, Craig. 

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,787 32,909 3,069 7,571
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CraigerM 

I know that the general recommendation out there is to do clean installs to remove "bloatware" from OEM pcs -- but that is old information that is not very good advice anymore.  When you force a clean install, you wipe out some of the most important components you need to ensure the OS talks to the hardware -- HP drivers.  And the ones that MS installs in their place are poor substitutes.

However, if you save off the current HP drivers to a USB stick, then you can have the best of both worlds.  You can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and use the HP drivers.

Here is information on how to save off the current drivers: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
CraigerM
Author
Level 1
10 6 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  However, doesn't Windows 10 find most of the drivers from the clean install and from online? 

Also you could get the drivers from that HP All In One model you showed me in my other thread?

Would the touch screen still work after the clean install?

I guess the other way would be to order the HP recovery USB?

Thanks.

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,787 32,909 3,069 7,571
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CraigerM 

Windows Update does not find proprietary HP drivers because those are only available from HP -- which is why I recommend a driver backup/restore.

Don't know if the touchscreen would still work -- which is why (... see above).

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation