Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-135vx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a question regarding cloning OS and Recovery to m.2 nvme ssd.

I have ordered the Samsung 970 Evo Plus...have not received yet, but I'm trying to prepare. My system has a 256GB SSD, which the OS is installed on (C), and a 2TB HDD, which is used mainly for data.

I would like to clone the OS to the new Samsung nvme, but also recovery partition, ultimately unplugging and archiving original SSD. When I look in Disk Management I see recovery partitions on both the SSD and the HDD. I'm not understanding why recovery partitions are on two separate drives, or which is the important one (or both) to clone.

Also, assuming that multiple drives would have to be cloned to the nvme, what might be the best software to accomplish this? I'm thinking sector by sector clone?

TIA,

Lisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Lisannk2 

You don't actually need the Recovery partitions in order to migrate the OS to a different drive.

You better bet would be to forget about the recover partitions and use Macrium Reflect to make you own recovery media. That will allow you to free up and reuse the space occupied presently by the Recovery partitions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Sorry, I forgot to add screenshot.

disk.jpg

HP Recommended

I don't know why I can't add image.

HP Recommended

@Lisannk2 

Cloning the Recovery partition to another drive does NOT work in most cases.  It looks like it works, but then later, when you go to use it, it does NOT work.  That is because it must be the same physical address on the new drive as it was on the original drive.

When folks migrate to SSDs from HDDs, they shrink partitions and that changes physical addresses.

What often DOES work is shrinking the OS partition until ALL the partitions will fit on the SSD and then cloning the entire set of partitions.  That retains the physical address of the Recovery partition.

But, I would like to suggest an alternative along with answering your question about tools to be used.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-SSD drive adapter
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand. I'm wanting to migrate from 256GB SSD to 1TB m.2 ssd.

The HDD will still be in use as it is. I was just really wondering if I need to clone 10.28GB RECOVERY (E), or just the 980MB RE Tools on the OS drive.

If I don't clone Recovery (E), and just clone the 4 parts of 256GB OS ssd, will the system still work as normal?

I have Macrium...will try to attach image.

Thank you,

Lisa

2020-08-23_10-59-51.png

HP Recommended

Forgot to mention I shouldn't need an adapter. I have a free m.2 slot.

HP Recommended

@Lisannk2 

You don't actually need the Recovery partitions in order to migrate the OS to a different drive.

You better bet would be to forget about the recover partitions and use Macrium Reflect to make you own recovery media. That will allow you to free up and reuse the space occupied presently by the Recovery partitions.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm not concerned about the space at all. I think I've decided to use Macrium and pull over all partitions on the OS ssd and leave the recovery (e) partition on the hdd alone.

Now I'm wondering if, assuming the clone process works well, I should disconnect all other drives when I first reboot to ensure the pc boots to the new m.2. I've read of other people changing the boot order and having that not work.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.