Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
deskpro 386

Which drive is A: drive on Compaq  desk pro 386sx the 5.25 floppy drive or the 3.5 floppy drive?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rockman1 

This is a very old machine, depending on when (which year) it was setup A: can be 3.5" floppy. You simply try on error: put a 3.5" folly to its drive then open Windows explorer to see which one is which.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.       Here the problem tho  The computer has nothing. No dos  No Windows and No Bios. It is asking for the Diagnostic disk to be put in drive (a). But my other computer is running Windows 7 and it don't recognize 720kb floppy. I can't find (diagnostic) one on eBay for the Compaq 386sx/16 desk-pro. I have download the 0891.exe file and some other ones. but the question is still the same which drive is (A drive) if it is the 5.25 then I have to get a disk from someone just to get started.

HP Recommended

You can open the case and check the floppy cable between the motherboard and the floppy drives.

The connectors will look different (34-pin IDC on the motherboard and edge connectors on the floppy drives), but a part of the cable is twisted for the 1st drive (A) and straight for the 2nd drive (B), see attached picture.

You can also swap the A and B drives, or even use a cable with IDC connectors on either end in case you want to use a newer drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.