Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-160se CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently ran into a issue with my PC i was getting flickering really bad about 2 months ago, i thought it was a problem with the hp gaming monitor i bought for like $300  so i invested into a $500+ G-sync monitor though Dell which i trust after reviving the monitor i experienced same issues after contacting tech support we discovered it was the monitor so i sent it back and got a new one which works wonders. Experienced the same issues and after contacting it was not the monitor but something in my PC. Since i could not get in contact with HP support i decided to go here before i just go buy a new PC for gaming. The issues that are occurring are Black screen randomly on desktop, browsing the web and gaming. Also pixel distortion and a lot of tearing on both desktop and games in my steam library (Destiny 2, WoW, Diablo 3, Lara Croft ext.) .  Also it crashing / Freezing up in games when black screen occurs sometimes other time display just comes back like nothing happens. The issue is completely random and could happen 12 times in a hour or sometimes one. The issue really concerns me as its the only desktop i have. After doing some research about things i thought maybe it was Norton anti virus as a Microsoft website i found showed that it could cause black screens or tearing. Also thought it was some configuration in NVIDIA control panel so i set to default setting though the NVIDIA Control panel but that did not seem to fix the issue.

The Current Specs are as followed:

Processor: i7 8700(Non K variant) with Stock cooler HP provided

Graphics card: GTX 1070 8GB (Using Geforce Game ready drivers

Memory: 32GB running at 1666 speed

Storage: M.2 SSD 500 GB plus 1TB hard drive

Motherboard: Tampa2 Board (Not sure much info on the board)

Power Supply: 500 watt

The PC does have good ventilation after pulling off the side panel 

Following were done with Troubleshooting:

• Updated Windows update to the latest version
  • Removed Graphics card driver completely, restarted windows, and re downloaded Drivers from NVIDIA Manually
  • Removed Norton Anti Virus - Swapped out with Bitdifender ( As Norton could cause flickering)
  • Reinstalled a clean copy of windows Using the Flash drive HP sent due to previous issue of flickering / Tearing
  • Tried Multiple monitors to verify it was not the monitor
  • Tried Multiple Display port Cables / DVI- D and HDMI cables on Graphics card
  • Made sure i had the latest update in windows up
  • Checked my HP OMEN model for updated drivers on HP support website
  • Attempted to talk to HP assistant but could not help because warranty was outdated ( Not sure had a problem with the assistant)
  • Called 1-800 number for HP support had minor issues attempting to reach tech support

Was planning on swapping Graphics card out but do not have a spare or money to buy one

After trouble shooting i was thinking it was graphics card as i have opened the case and looked for dust, Not a single spec of dust i do not want to touch anything as even though my warranty is expired since i do not have a anti static strap to work with do not want to take the chances of frying a component. Was planning to order a new card but with COVID i am trying to keep buying at a minimal. I probally gave to much info but trying to give all i can to help solve the issue. If i cannot resolve the issue i will probably just buy a new one and once i get enough money get support for it. 

I've not really had the best experience with HP as i only own Dell PC at home but someone recommended that i try to get the HP OMEN fixed. So i thought i would give it a shot and post on the forums . Worked well for about 9 months then when i went to contact support my warranty was expired. At that point i was just going to forget about it but i thought i would get it fixed and give it to a good friend.

Edit: Also by connecting Via hdmi/Displayport directly to the motherboard results in no display detected. This could be a motherboard issue possibly as unplugging and connecting to my GTX 1070 displays on the monitor. I also tried multiple HDMI / displayport cables to verify its not the cables also tried multiple monitors as well.   

Monitors Used: 

Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor [https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/new-alienware-27-gaming-monitor-aw2720hf/apd/210-atwf/monitor...]

HP 25x gaming monitor [https://www.newegg.com/hp-3wl50aa-aba-24-5-full-hd/p/1JW-000M-00B59?item=9SIAFVFAX98347&source=regio...]

URLs are provided where i purchased them but i have 2 of each they work well when i dock my laptop, just thought i'd through this information to help solve the problem if this helped please let me know

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Joseph01 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Computer Goes black screen and pixel distortion.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply just checked the response this morning

After following your instruction to get in contact with HP Tech support by phone / Chat i am unable to locate the phone number or chat option

the options that are available for The HP omen when signed in are

• Visit the HP support Community (Which i did to post this about a week ago)
  • Locate the nearest HP support center  (I'm not sure i would be OK doing this option with my bad experience)

I unfortunate cannot contact the support, would the reason be i need to purchase a support package to revive the phone number? I unfortunately do not have the money to purchase another as $231 is a lot to spend to renew the service. I would spend around that  on a brand new GTX1070.

Just thought i would reply to your post as a update, i mostly certain its may be a combination of graphics card issue and CPU could be a bad fan but running the PC this morning and monitoring temp they seem way too high. GPU was pushing up to 90*C   and CPU was higher pulling temps of close to 100*C.  I usually see my PC runs at 60*C  not sure what is causing the spike as after verifying there is no dust inside the PC and all connections are fully connected. I've been troubleshooting the PC though out the week and been doing research. The other thing i have noticed is my disk processes seem to always stay at 95-100%.  Feel free to reply with another solution or some recommendations as I'm not sure i want to blow $230  just to repair the Device. 

HP Recommended

@Joseph01

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.