Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq presario CQ5000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop has been making a lot of beeps (I don't really know how many but after every 5, there's a pause and then it keeps continuing after that) and flashing an orange light. And it won't even connect to the computer that I've always used. I've tried unplugging it, restarting it and even waiting until the next day to see if it will work. What should I do to fix this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The beeping is a signal that some hardware has failed.  The beeping should present in a pattern.  Once the pattern is recognized, then a very general area can be determined as to where to start the investigation. 

Here is a general guide

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

Many are tracked down to bad memory modules.  There are tests that can be run to verify the main problem.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I've looked at that already and it didn't solve anything because it beeps 25 times with a pause every 5 times and it sounds pretty high pitched. And the on/off button on the desktop displays an orange light. I really don't know what to do. Please help! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Usually there are long and short beeps with a pattern that is discernible to count.  If that is not what you observe, then there must be a catastrophic failure and probably will need a repair tech.

If you look more closely to find a model number it may help.  Looking here, there are many models in the Compaq Presario cq5000 series

https://support.hp.com/us-en/products/identify?q=Compaq%20presario%20CQ5000%20&filter=-1&origin=pdp

Your post indicates it is Windows 7, so fairly old hardware,  just saying it might not be worth the repair costs.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.