Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1517cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavillion P7-1517cb shut down and I can't get it to come back up. I did get it to come back once but then it went down again later that day. Any ideas on what I could do? It doesn't seem to be having any errors or issues before it did this.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Srlass 

My guess is that your PC is at least 5 years old and given that, it could be any of a number of hardware failures.

If you CAN, to find out the problem, you would need to be able run hardware diagnostics by pressing the Esc key repeatedly and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, select Diagnostics (usually F2) and let it run.

If you can NOT do that, or if that does not work, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do because we have no way of accessing your PC from here to run diagnostics or repair hardware.

You will need to have the PC physically examined in a service facility by folks that can run their own diagnostics to determine what is wrong with it.
--------------------
Since your PC is no longer under warranty, then it will cost you up front to have HP examine your PC. If you want to do that, you will have to contact an HP Repair or Service Center to see if they can examine the PC to determine the cause(s) of the problems, if it can be repaired, and an estimate of the repair costs.

If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dear Srlass,

Do not worry, your computer may still be operational. I suggest trying:

• Recharging your computer.
  • If/when recharging your computer fails to solve the problem, try changing out the battery. If there is something wrong with the battery, then it might not charge, so your computer may have shut off. But that doesn't mean that your computer died and won't recharge. If the battery malfunctioned and shut off the energy supply to your computer, it may have still had charge before it shut off.
  • I know most people say this, it still could help: Try holding your power button for 30 seconds, then release the button and wait 10 seconds. Then, push the power button once. If there is no response from the computer, maybe check your motherboard and other components within your computer to check if it fried. If so, then either purchase new components to replace the damaged ones, or if your computer was new or had a warranty, then you could try to request replacement parts from the company that made it, claiming that the computer had faulty components.
  • If your computer manages to turn on but you can't seem to turn it off, then in the worst case, try removing the battery from your computer while on battery saver, avoiding touching any other components inside or around the battery compartment.
  • If your computer is and/or has been off for a while and you have not attempted to turn it on in a while, then try placing your hand underneath the computer or on the vents. If it feels like it is warmer than the surrounding objects it was next to and/or room temperature, that means that the computer is still trying to process threads when it is off, which would mean that turning it on wouldn't initiate the start-up sequence because it might think that it is still on, but won't turn off because it could be in a state where it is stuck and thinks it is both on and off, meaning input from the power button or any other manual type of turning the computer on or off is ignored. in this case, again, try carefully removing the battery from the computer, which would force the computer to turn off due to the fact that it's energy supply would have then been cut-off/removed.
  • A faulty battery could have also been the cause as for why your computer turned on some time later, then turned off again. You may have been able to make the battery begin distributing energy into your computer for a short while before it malfunctioned (possibly again) and ceased distributing energy to your computer.
  • If you have tried all of these things and it still won't work, then your computer may have malfunctioned in such a way that might have caused it to short circuit itself. If so, then you might have to either purchase a new motherboard or request a replacement from the company that you bought it from if it was new, claiming that it had faulty components. The way that you can check if this was the case, is that if something short-circuits, energy can no longer run through that portion of the system. Normal Headphones (Not Bluetooth, ear buds, air pods, or speakers) normally don't have their own energy supply and get their energy from the device that they are plugged into. try plugging your headphones into your audio jack (With the headphones on your head first), and listen for a pop or other sound that seemed to come from the headphones' speakers. If so, then that means that your computer has not short circuited and that the battery is currently supplying your computer with energy while it is unresponsive. If you do not hear any sound, then that means that either your computer has short circuited, and that is because the audio jack is preset to being directly connected to the motherboard, or that your battery is not distributing power to your computer currently while it is unresponsive.

It would also help if you could inform me on what you were doing before/the last time you used your computer while it was fully functioning and not unresponsive. That might have caused a confusion in the computer or something else that I can't identify without knowing what the computer was processing before it stopped working.

Have a good day, and don't get the Corona Virus!,

Wasabi.

HP Recommended

@Wasabi101 

While you clearly went to a lot of trouble to respond -- did you even bother to check out their model information?

This is a desktop, not a laptop -- so all your stuff about the battery and feeling under the case for heat, is useless.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When it came back up the first thing I did was run a diagnostic and it said everything was good. I will see if I can get it to come back up again and run another one.

HP Recommended

Thank you for letting me know, and I apologize for not looking into it that much first. Also, I just wanted to know if you could help me on my own problem, which is a Network o=and App issue, again, on an old computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.