Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got an HP Pavilion 15-cc0xx with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home edition. Then I managed to replace the traditional HDD drive with an SSD drive.

In order to install the factory image to the new the drive,

1. I used the pre-installed HP Recovery Manager to create a Recovery Disk on a USB stick.
  2. The creation process went fine through the data copying and also the verification phase.
  3. Replaced the internal HDD drive with the new SSD drive
  4. From the boot menu through F11 key, I selected the PC Reset
  5. The process continued but after serveral restarts, the process stopped with the following error "The system cannot find the drive specified"

error.png

Other notes

• The PC was operating properly using the HDD drive shipped with PC and without any issues
  • The recovery disk creation started and finished without any interruptions or errors with a USB Stick
  • I can't proceed with the system recovery using the recovery disk

Now I certainly have 2 main issues

1. I can't complete the recovery operation with the recovery disk
  2. As the recovery disk is created only once, even after fixing the recovery issue, how to create another recovery disk

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What I mean by original configuration is that if your notebook for example came with a 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive, then you would need to have replaced it with another 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive.

Maybe you could have lucked out with a 1 TB 2.5" SSD.

You are correct.  It will be the plain Microsoft edition of W10 without any HP software included.

The only software you will be able to install is what you can find on your notebook's support page.

IMHO, this approach is better than using your notebook as an expensive paperweight, don't you agree?

You won't be able to get the recovery media to work.

It's like a light bulb.  It is either going to work or it isn't.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The recovery media you create will only work on an original configuration.

You can reinstall W10 for free by creating installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-cc000-laptop-pc/15551391

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your response, but could you kindly specify what is meant by "Original Configuration" ?

Also, even if I'm able to install Windows 10 copy, it will be for sure a clean copy without any softwares like the ones shipped with the device like the HP dropbox gift. How can I restore these softwares with a fresh copy of windows ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What I mean by original configuration is that if your notebook for example came with a 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive, then you would need to have replaced it with another 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive.

Maybe you could have lucked out with a 1 TB 2.5" SSD.

You are correct.  It will be the plain Microsoft edition of W10 without any HP software included.

The only software you will be able to install is what you can find on your notebook's support page.

IMHO, this approach is better than using your notebook as an expensive paperweight, don't you agree?

You won't be able to get the recovery media to work.

It's like a light bulb.  It is either going to work or it isn't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.