Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion g6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I had to restore my computer to a previous point; trying to make something work.  There were 3 previous points.  I chose one and it didn't work so I chose another and it worked.  Because my computer was working well, I put in that current date as a restore point and the previous 3 dates disappeared.

I have made some more changes and everything seems to be working well with my computer and I would like to add today as a restore point but I don't want the previous date to disappear.  Is there any way to do this; to just add a second point without the previous point disappearing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

You DO understand that System Restore recovers only the Operating System, not your personal data, right?

When Windows Update runs, it squirrels away the Windows OS components that are being updated, replaced, or deleted, including the Registry hives.  That collection of stuff is known as a Restore Point.

When you later run System Restore, all it does is overwrite the current OS components with the ones that it saved.

IF what you really want is a way to save off the current installation, so you could restore it later in the event of a filesystem corruption or malware infection, you would do much better looking into a third-party imaging product like Macrium Reflect.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

Excellent question - and Yes, you can create your own restore point(s).

• (How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

Note that the date will automatically be added to the restore point (that you create) - you can name your restore point something that makes sense to you. 

For example, Pre-touchpad install or Before Update

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for answering but at this point I am not sure you read my question.  I was not trying to find out how to create a restore point; as I said in my question, I know how to do that; I have already done that.

When I created the last restore point, the previous restore points disappeared.  I would like to know how to create a new restore point without losing the last restore point; I think it would be better to have two, as one doesn't always work; need options.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

You are welcome.

The number of restore points is dependent on how much space you have available for this type of storage.  If the space is limited, previously stored points will be deleted.

I am away from my office at the moment.. I can check on this when I return later today.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I checked my C drive and have 582 GB free of 679 GB; if that is where the space is supposed to be.

Also, my DVD RW drive says there are 0 bytes free of 594.  I have never used that drive; not sure what that means or why.  When I click on it, it wants to install something but doesn't tell me what they are wanting to install.

HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

System Protection can be configured to use a designated percentage of the available disk space.  In fact, this is the method used to keep Restore Points from "taking over the file system".  

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click Configure to switch system protection on / off and specify / change the space allotment.

Example - System Protection - Configure > Disk Space (slide bar right-left to adjust)

System_Restore_ConfigureSystem_Restore_Configure

The CD drive is not related to the available disk space used for system protection.

If it is showing up in System Protection, switch it "OFF" (to disable system protection for that device)

In general, if you have a disk installed in the DVD player, it will respond to opening either by listing the contents or perhaps by using the AutoPlay settings in your File System.

List and / or assign default actions for Applications

Settings > Apps > Default Apps 

List and / or assign default actions for media / device

Control Panel > icon view > AutoPlay

OR

Settings > Devices > AutoPlay

One of many articles on the subject:

How to Enable, Disable, and Customize AutoPlay in Windows 10

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

What happened is that I opened the dvd place and found a dvd in it; the one that came with the monitor. I do not remember putting it in.  Then I went back to my dvd drive and it did not say 0 bytes available.  So i created a new restore point but couldn't find any way to view restore points so don't know if the previous one was deleted or not; I guess I won't know until I need to restore.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@chiggi64 

The description about the DVD makes sense.  Good that it is resolved.

The Restore Points are available when you click into System Restore.

NOTE:  This is actually the same procedure you have used to run / start System Restore.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection > System Restore >

Check the list for available, relevant Restore Points >

If desired, Check box:  Show more restore points >

Highlight / Select Restore Point >

Click / Select Scan for affected programs >

Next > Finish

Reminder:  You can check the contents without actually starting the process; simply cancel out of the menu after checking the relevant information.  (Click NO when asked whether you want to continue.)

Reference

System Restore W8-W10

I am sorry you are still having trouble - the documentation is supposed to help, of course.  If you cannot find what you need using the resources provided in this thread, know that there are many, many articles on the 'net that may be better able to better describe the setup for your situation.

For example:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

Delete Old Windows 10 System Restore Points to Free Up Disk Space

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

When I hit System Protection, it takes me to System Properties and there if I click on System Restore, it just starts restoring.  This is Windows 10 if that matters.  there is no Relevant Restore Points, Show  More Restore Points, or Select Restore Point; it will just start restoring.  If I right click on it, nothing comes up.  There is also no Scan For Affected Programs.  I tried to get a copy to attach but can't save in PNG or JPEG, only word doc and this program won't take docx.

I suppose I could restore again today to see if the other two are still there; everything seems to be working great, no time like the present to put in a restore point.

HP Recommended

I went back to System Properties and accidentally clicked on Restore instead of Create.  A screen did come up with the option of checking for other restore points.  There were two more, both created by Windows after an update. I cancelled out of there and created a new restore point for today and it was created successfully, so there should be 4 in there now.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.