Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
QW699AA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The desktop unit is a Pavilion p7-1254 and is 10 years old or more (Windows 7) and we have had no issues whatsoever with the unit prior to current issue.   It is only used for word processing and internet use.  There is no gaming that takes place on this unit.  Computer was mid-boot before a diagnosis error screen showing:  p/n ST31000524AS, Failure Attn: #05 hard drive.

I was able to start in safe mode and copied all files (6 gig) from "my documents" onto an external hard drive.  With a new/replacement Seagate hard drive (which is what came in it new) on its way, my question becomes will I need to purchase the recovery CDs to make the unit function as it used to once the new hard drive in installed?  Or is operating system able to be copied onto the hard drive as well?  My hope is to keep the unit functionable for continued homework and internet use.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge as it is not my specialty.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@alsparl519 

Yes, you would need to use HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to its original state -- but you probably will not be able to buy the Recovery CDs because HP has not carried Win7 media for some time now.  

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @alsparl519 

This 3rd party vendor has recovery media for your PC.

Computer Surgeons - Windows 7 64 Bit Recovery Kit C4G69AV For HP Pavilion Desktop PC Model Number p7...

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your PC's case you can make your own plain W7 installation media by downloading the W7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO file from the link below.   

https://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/8/EA804D86-C3DF-4719-9966-6A66C9306598/7601.24214.180801...

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

Use the free Rufus utility to create a bootable USB W7 installation flash drive.

Select the MBR partition table when you use the software.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.