Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP s5770uk-m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop computer has been going very slow. It is now getting even slower. I have tried all the things that are usually recommended when your PC gets slow. I made sure Windows 10 and all my software is up-to-date. I have used CCleaner to clean the machine and to prevent unnecessary things running at startup. I used the Start Up tab in Task Manager to do the same thing. I have defragmented the hard drive. My hard drive is less than half full. When I bought the PC I got it with a large hard drive (1 TB) knowing I'd never fill it. I don't download music or films and I don't use the PC to play games. I basically use it to browse the web, access my emails, I use the various apps in Microsoft Office and sometimes listen to music on YouTube,.

I've run a number of virus programmes (Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware) and they all say I'm virus free. I don't know exactly what virus may do but nothing strange is happening. Everything does what it's supposed to do in its own sweet time. It is just running at a very annoyingly slow speed. To add insult to injury I keep getting messages from programmes saying 'Not responding', as if I didn't know.

I simply don't know what my next steps should be to diagnose the problem let alone to fix it. I would appreciate advice to help me first identify what is going wrong and then to fix it.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JP-78_X1 

I appreciate that you did a lot to try to both diagnose and fix the issue -- but none of the things you did would have any effect if the problem is hardware, and with a really SLOW PC, one that is getting worse over time, hardware is almost always the cause.  This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying to my question.

I note that you refer to my PC as a laptop.

In the link you posted to an article at HP Support it talks about a method for notebooks (another word for laptops).

However, my PC is not a laptop; it is a desktop. If that makes no difference I shall run the tests you have recommended. However, I just want to confirm that these suggestions work for a desktop computer.

HP Recommended

@JP-78_X1 

You're right -- it is not a laptop, but the tests are the same as are the issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.