Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just bought a rather expensive All-in-one HP Pavilion 24-xa1xxx. It came with a wireless HP mouse + keybord. I'm liking the keyboard very much, but unfortunately the FN key is locked, meaning if I want to use my regular F1,F2,F3,F4 etc keys I have to press FN key first (otherwise pressing F1 will mute all sound, F2 increase volume etc).

I need its normal functionality for work, and for example find pressing FN key to refresh a webpage (FN + F5) every time rather annoying.I've read about it and its a problem a lot of people have posted about on official HP forums. Unfortunately it hasn't been resolved for anyone, but because the most recent question was probably over 10 months ago, I thought I would give it a shot asking here first.

I have gone into BIOS and there is no option to deactivate the keys (a very popular suggestion from the HP forums). I have also tried different short cuts like FN + Shift, FN + ESC, FN + CapsLock - but none worked. I also do not have a key on my keyboard with a lock.This is driving me bananas, any help appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TomnicFernas,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand you want to disable the multimedia keys and use the function keys normally.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

As you have mentioned that there is no option in the BIOS to disable it then there is no option to use the function keys normally and it is by design.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.