Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone. 

Looking for a little help.  My D drive keeps being surprised removed. The events view shows that An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation. The D drive usually appears on reset but quickly vanishes.  Obviously I'm not removing it as it's an internal drive.  The events viewer also shows that there has been a bad sector on that drive in the past but that message hasn't appeared in a while. 

I've swapped out the SATA cable for a different one, tried the other slot on the MOBO, attempted to run a CHKDSK but i dont think that worked as the drive is "removed". 

Looking for any other suggestions on resolving the issue.  The desktop was only purchased in October of last year so it's still in warranty, but I'd rather resolve the issue myself as i doubt HP would just send me a new HDD and i dont want to send away the whole system. 

The C: drive is fine but that's a SSD so i can still boot fine.  I think it could be driver or software related as i cant seem to access the bios on startup either to check the drives (it's F10 right?  I press it and some text appears in the bottom right but then nothing happens)  Again any advice welcome. 

Thanks a lot everyone. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I suspect that you have a faulty disk-drive that suddenly "quits" (not the physical recording surfaces, but the electronics on its "daughter-board").  

You could go through the hassle of shipping the entire computer to the nearest authorized HP Repair Centre, or you could just purchase a replacement disk-drive, and swap it for the "bad" disk-drive. 

It will be inconvenient to "lose" your computer for 1 or 2 weeks, versus the cost of a new disk-drive. 

Plus, if you send the computer away, any files on that "bad" disk-drive probably will not be copied onto the "replacement" disk-drive. Ouch!

HP Recommended

@Man_Feelings 

In addition to the news that @itsmyname has already told you, if you send off the "bad" drive to HP, they will keep it, and everything you currently have on it will be permanently gone.  They would only replaced that drive with a new, blank one.  So, you will lose everything in the process.

If you need to keep anything from that drive, you would do better buying a new one and then tackling data recovery on the old one.  Just because it does not work in Windows does not mean everything is gone from the drive.  I have routinely recovered most of the data from failing drives.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the advice.

I've already formatted the drive to see if that resolved my issue so I'm not worried about data loss, it was only games on the drive.

Just a little annoyed that I've had the pc for only about 9 months and the drive is dead.

Can you advise the best way to contact support to replace the drive? I've been through the virtual assistant and completed the troubleshooting but it advises it can't help further at the end of that journey.

Cheers,

Ross. 

HP Recommended

>> if you send the computer away, any files on that "bad" disk-drive probably will not be copied onto the "replacement" disk-drive.

if you send off the "bad" drive to HP, they will keep it, and everything you currently have on it will be permanently gone.  

Great minds think [almost] alike.  🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.