Genesan212
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Drive crashed, no recovery USB for desktop

HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-p114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hard drive failed.  No recovery worked on failed drive and DID NOT have recovery backup USB for my desktop.  Created recovery USB from my laptop (ASUS).

New hard drive installed in the desktop.  Used the ASUS laptop recovery USB to install Windows.  Windows installed but only at  Version 8.1.

Do not have the original  Windows product key for my HP desktop.

Any way for me to upgrade (for FREE as was provided by Microsoft back in the day) to Windows 10 without purchasing Windows 10?

Want to get off of Windows 8 ASAP!

4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
135,291 119,404 20,744 31,841
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W10 product key is in your PC's BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall W10.

Since your PC came with W10 you can reinstall W10 for free by making bootable installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

I'm very surprised the W8.1 installation activated.  Not sure how that could be.

If the installation is indeed activated, you can also click on the blue Update Now button at the link above to upgrade to W10 for free.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Genesan212
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul:

System information shows that Version 8 of Windows is activated.

My attempts to run the processing ("Download Windows") only goes so far and then fails.

The initial attempt was prompting for a Windows product key and did not initially accept the key from the laptop I generated the USB recovery backup on.  Now the upgrade processing goes through numerous steps of downloading, checking and then initiates the upgrade to Win10 only to terminate with small window showing it failed.

Rebooted and tried processing again--same results.  Cannot get past the failure point.  Can you tell me where I would find any logs related to this upgrade processing.  I did not see any issues when I looked at the Windows system log or application log.

Thanks.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
135,291 119,404 20,744 31,841
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you with any Windows download/failure to update issues.

I looked up your PC's product number and according to the HP cloud recovery tool website, your PC is supported by the tool.

Get a 32 GB USB flash drive and make a bootable USB recovery drive with the cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

If that doesn't work either, use the Media creation tool to create a plain W10 installation flash drive.

If it isn't working on your PC, you can make the media on any Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer.

EliasQureshi
Level 2
9 7 2 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can download Windows 10 64bit ISO from Microsoft website it is free for download and drivers you have to install manually from HP support website .

You have to go to Microsoft website then select search option type there windows 10 iso hit enter it will take you to this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10ISO

most important step which ever web browser you are using

Just in go in more tool

select  web developer mode

then change the screen size to andriod mobile screen it is call responsive design mode

You have fresh the screen once 

Now you can download Windows 10 iso 32 bits or 64 bits.

For your PC

Do not worry about productkey as it is embedded in Bios of the PC

I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP .

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation