Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have recently started getting error messages because my laptop has run out of drive space. This was a shock as I have a 297g hard drive and don't use my laptop for games. I removed all personal files, pictures and music after saving them on a usb stick. However things just got worse. The only thing I have noticed that gives me cause for concern is that I have several messages from Windows security  - "Controlled folder access  blocked changes to my computer's memory and controlled files by the program ETD_GetSMART.exe"

It is a bit of a coincidence that these messages are reporting this at the same time as my memory/drive space is being eaten away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So. It seems Mcafee plants huge text files on the hard drive, assumingly when you try to cancel the subscription and uninstall their products. I had to go to a techie in the end as couldn't find what was wrong for love nor money. As soon as I gained any space it was eaten up again. I had remote assistance with help to identify  the problem and within a few minutes he uncovered two massive text files that were logging god knows what. They were deleted along with any other remaining Mcafee programs/products and my laptop is now fine. Lesson learned - Steer well clear of Mcafee !!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Have you launched the "Disk Cleanup" app? It will identify files & folders that can be safely deleted.

HP Recommended

So. It seems Mcafee plants huge text files on the hard drive, assumingly when you try to cancel the subscription and uninstall their products. I had to go to a techie in the end as couldn't find what was wrong for love nor money. As soon as I gained any space it was eaten up again. I had remote assistance with help to identify  the problem and within a few minutes he uncovered two massive text files that were logging god knows what. They were deleted along with any other remaining Mcafee programs/products and my laptop is now fine. Lesson learned - Steer well clear of Mcafee !!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.