Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-247C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had  a good experience with this Desktop, Its quiet, powerful and fast!

But lately I have noticed several problems with the computer after updating it to the latest Windows 10. 
First thing I have noticed is the computer will start up when I am not even touching the computer or accessing it. I let it slide for a little while but ITS ANNOYING. esspically when I have several projects open on the thing that I would like to keep open, coming from a laptop I have always been able to leave the PC in sleep. Then more problems began occuring.
Now when I try to boot the computer it always tells me I have to scan and fix a system drive, and now certain elements don't even WORK properly.

Is this some problem with the computer or is it just Windows 10?

Is there a way to stop some of this?

Any answer is apperciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi CoolMan,

You updated by yourself.

Microsoft is suggesting to not do this.

Roll back to the previous version.

When MS feels your PC is good to go the update will be available.

Grzy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Windows Update is configured to apply any updates outside of "working hours".

So, given that Windows 10 "1703" must have been "frozen" during 2017-March, there probably are security-updates issued on April 11th (10 AM Pacific) that were downloaded, and now are being installed.  Check the "history" within Windows Update, to see when the latest updates were applied.

HP Recommended

The computer rarely ever installs updates. and i cant even set my correct active hours because most of the time i use the computer between a scale of 14 hours( i dont actually use the thing for 14 hours though) 

But that I did install the update manually BEFORE Microsoft said not to 

Do you think I should roll to the AU update using the Recovery Partition built into the computer or something or leave the OS on there?

HP Recommended

Hi CoolMan,

You updated by yourself.

Microsoft is suggesting to not do this.

Roll back to the previous version.

When MS feels your PC is good to go the update will be available.

Grzy

HP Recommended

> Microsoft is suggesting to not do this [install Creators Update 1703]

That is an over-simplification.

Microsoft has identified some problems with CU on some computers, and is blocking an "automatic" update of CU on that group of computers.  Of course, if those people manually install CU, they may experience a problem.

HP Recommended

Ok I know that I marked this as a solution, but it is not a solution.

I tried booting into Recovery and whenever I try to go back the the previous build it comes up with an error saying that Windows was unable to revert to the AU and then restarts the computer

I am now stuck, what do I do?

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the solution. I am sorry it did not help. I am here to help people without trying to rack up solutions. Sorry to observe this is not always the case with all forum members.

Sorry for being simplistic. I guess this PC guy and Microsoft are also simplistic.

CoolMan, so you cannot go to Settings, Update, and then roll back your PC to the AU? This outcome is always a risk when you update any operating system, especially Windows 10. You are booting to the Win 10 Recovery Environment to attempt a recovery to the previous OS version?

Do you have an operating system Image backup on an external drive and a bootable recovery/rescue disc or USB stick? Do you have any kind of backup? Have you backed up data for this type of worst case scenario?

Do you have HP Factory Recovery media? 

I am running a clean install of the new W10 version on a seperate SSD with zero problems. But I have proven image backups of the last version of Win 10 to go back to. I also run Win 7 on a different SSD and have known good image backups in case things go bad.

Grzy

HP Recommended

> I am now stuck, what do I do?

1. Buy a new disk-drive (this is an opportunity to upgrade to a SSD).

2. Download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

This probably will be the "Creators Update" version!

Since your computer was running Windows 10, you have a "digital entitlement" to reinstall it, for FREE, at any time.

4. Disconnect the old disk-drive.

5. Connect the new disk-drive.

6. Install Windows to the new disk-drive.

7. Re-connect the old disk-drive, and copy your personal files from "old" to "new" disk-drive.

8. Reinstall your applications (iTunes? Audacity? MS Office?)

HP Recommended

I have a Windows 10 image

This computer is running on an SSD and an HDD in the computer. 

I could reinstall but I feel like I wouldnt want to get all of the drivers in 1 day, because I am home and awake from about 3-9 PM and I have other work to do.

This computer does not have an HP recovery manager and no recovery partition, however there is a F11 key on the startup menu that boots into WIn10 Recovery

I could reset the computer however I dont know if it would keep me on the CU, like it would on some computers and on other computers it would take me back to the original version of WIndows, (Windows 10 November Update on this PC)

HP Recommended

Hi

Restore the Anniversary Update image from external backup. 

The image will have all operating system drivers and data at the point it was created.

Hopefully you have backed up additional data beyond the point the image was made.

So you should be back in business.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.