Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible 15-dr1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, at seemingly random times the cursor on my Envy X360 laptop suddenly starts jumping  frantically, moving up and down really quickly on the left side of the screen. I try to shut it down, but mostly cannot keep the cursor in the Windows Start area long enough to click on Shut Down.  I eventually Ctrl Alt Del, which brings up a power button on the bottom right corner of the screen and I can physically touch that on the screen in order to shut down.  I wait a few minutes, and when I start up, it's all working fine again - until the next time. 

It seems to be completely random.  It might happen 5 times in one day and not at all for several weeks - which lulls me into thinking it's okay. 

The problem has been going on for months, and I now have about 3 months left on the 12 month warranty.  I live in Perth in Western Australia and was told by the retailer that it would have to be sent to Melbourne and I'll probably be without it for at least 6 weeks.  Given that it works "most" of the time, and given that I can't duplicate the problem, I haven't sent it away.  

I've filmed it on my phone and uploaded clips to Dropbox, if that's of any help.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very computer literate, so please bear that in mind in any replies.  I'm very grateful for any assistance.  

I guess I'm asking, if I send it away to HP in Melbourne, will they be able to fix a problem that can't be duplicated?

And apologies, I wasn't sure which board of Desktop to post this in...

Cheers,

Julianne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ahh.. I see. Oh well, that's one positive for covid. (repairs back here) 

Since you have the video, I would make sure the repair agent is told about it and stress to them that it's intermittent. I would recommend getting it fixed now, as the problem will probably get worse and more frequent over time.

Yes, jb hifi always give the 'worst-case scenario' in turn around time, but in reality, the actual repair should only take a day or two. The freight time will be the longest wait. 

We used to do the warranty repairs on the HP laptops right before it went to Singapore. We still do the consumer desktop warranty repairs, as they're onsite. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm in Brisbane and know the process for HP warranty repair. If it's an x360 laptop, then it'll go to Singapore for repair. I *think* the turn around time is 10-14 days.

If you're certain that it's going to Melbourne, then that sounds like an extended warranty company. Have they provided you with a company name and or address in melbourne?

The most likely issue is the touch pad, but could also be the touch screen having 'ghost touch' issues.

If it's an extended warranty company, they make their money by not having to repair your unit. If they can't replicate the fault, they won't do anything. If it IS being covered by HP's manufacture's warranty, then they *should* at least replace the touch pad and then you can 'see how it goes' if they can't replicate the fault.

Did you happen to get it from Harvey Norman? If so, did you purchase product care with the unit? If so, they'll swap it out with a new one no questions asked.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply!

I bought it from JB HiFi and I've just checked the procedure with them again. They said it used to go to Singapore, but since Covid that's no longer the case. They now have an agent in Melbourne.  

They also said that theoretically the turnaround is, yes, 2 - 3 weeks, but they always suggest it may be longer, again given the postal delays because of Covid.

I didn't purchase an extended warranty. It's still within the 12 month period. 

HP Recommended

Ahh.. I see. Oh well, that's one positive for covid. (repairs back here) 

Since you have the video, I would make sure the repair agent is told about it and stress to them that it's intermittent. I would recommend getting it fixed now, as the problem will probably get worse and more frequent over time.

Yes, jb hifi always give the 'worst-case scenario' in turn around time, but in reality, the actual repair should only take a day or two. The freight time will be the longest wait. 

We used to do the warranty repairs on the HP laptops right before it went to Singapore. We still do the consumer desktop warranty repairs, as they're onsite. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, Hibb1.  I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and share your expertise.  Cheers, Julianne

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.