Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 700-215XT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I turned on my desk top and  the blue screen appeared with this message

"hard Disk Error

run the HD test in system diagnostics

Hard Disk 5 (3f5)

f2 systems diagnostics.

I want to the HP web site and followed the instructions. rebooted and tapped the F11 key. 

NOTHING,,the problem is nothing I do gets me off this page. I removed the hd and tested iin another computer and all was well with it,,no problems. 

What can I do?

thank you,,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Blug,

Your PC's small (16 GB) cache drive has probably failed. I missed seeing the included cache drive when looking at your PC's specs.

You can remove this device. The PC should boot off the platter HDD.

Think about also replacing the platter HDD with a fast 2.5 inch SATA SSD to improve system performance.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This boot time error message usually means you may have a hardware (HDD) problem.

Restart the PC.

Tap "ESC"

Select "F2"

Run Hardware Diagnostics system tests.

You may have to replace a drive connected to your PC. 3F5 should refer to disk 5. 

Do you have external and bootable USB drives connected to the PC?

Regards

HP Recommended

G,,thanks for the response, I did the reboot and Esc,F2 tapping. Nothing I do gets me off the error message page.

Also unable to read any external drive.

Next step is a new lap top.  LOL

Thanks again,,

R

HP Recommended

Hi Blug,

You're very welcome.

You can't do "ESC" or anything. The MB is getting power and you see video on screen.

Try starting the PC with only a monitor installed to see what happens.

It now sounds like you have a hardware problem.

Have a local PC tech take a look.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Blug,

Your PC's small (16 GB) cache drive has probably failed. I missed seeing the included cache drive when looking at your PC's specs.

You can remove this device. The PC should boot off the platter HDD.

Think about also replacing the platter HDD with a fast 2.5 inch SATA SSD to improve system performance.

Regards

HP Recommended

All is well,,,,problem solved,,

THANK YOU!!!

😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.