Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY h8-1520t
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Yesterday when I turned my computer on, it was really slow and I couldn't open any programs. Then it went all blue then white. When I rebooted I see " Checking .media presence, media present, start pcs over ipv6, then Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. I've tried hitting f11, but it just fills the screen with the error message. Is it dead or is there hope?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seems like your hard drive has failed. :Crying:

You may have to replace the drive and reinstall Windows.

Please use these instructions for testing your hard drive.

*Works even if your PC doesn't boot to Windows.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon. If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Seems like your hard drive has failed. :Crying:

You may have to replace the drive and reinstall Windows.

Please use these instructions for testing your hard drive.

*Works even if your PC doesn't boot to Windows.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon. If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Ok so my system only shows the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI screen

And i ran all tests and they all came back fine

So now what do I do?

Help please, this happened to me after someone told me to run an exe file that would decompress a file for The Sims, instead it rebooted my system and I now get a Boot Device Not Dected  Hard Drive (3FO) error

HP Recommended

If you performed the hard drive diagnostic and it passed then I suggest you check your boot order and confirm that the Hard Drive is selected as the first boot device. It appears that your system is trying to perform a network boot. It's especially concerning since the problem started after you opened a suspicious executable file.

On next reboot repeatedly tap the Esc key until the Start Up menu appears then tap F9 for Boot Options.

In the Boot Options menu be sure that your Hard Drive is selected and the first/primary boot device.

HP Recommended

Thanks I already tried this and the only options that came up as boot selections were my network card IPv4 and IPv6 options ...... so evidently it isn't seeing my hard drive at all

So I put in an old windows 10 iso disc that I made and it acted like it was going to start up but then it went to this screen

Checking media Presence
Media Present
Start PXE over IPv4

Then after about 3 minutes it goes to a black screen with a blue box that reads the following

Boot device is not found

Please install an operating system on your hard drive

Hard Drive - Error (3F0)

F2     System Diagnostics

and then tells me to go to a hp tech center  start up site  (my computer is a HP Pavilion 500-217c)

I have no idea what to try next, except to take it to a computer place and see if they can retrieve my files and order restoration discs for my computer, because of course I never burned them off my computer

HP Recommended

Does the hard drive show up in BIOS? Have you checked the data and power connections? Tried a different SATA port? Can you hear the hard drive spin up? You can actually place your fingers on the drive and feel the disks spinning. Tried the hard drive as a slave drive in another computer? When you tried the Win 10 iso did you select your CD/DVD drive from the boot menu?

HP Recommended

I don't know where to go to look and see if the hard drive shows up in BIOS.  Yes I have checked the data and power cables, I even tried pulling the power cable and holding the power button and then plugging the power cable back in, but no luck.   I don't know what a SATA port is, so that would be a no.  Nope I can not put my fingers on the hard drive to see if it is spinning and no I don't have another computer to put the hard drive in ( or even have an idea on how to get it out to put it in another computer)  I am on my mother's toshiba laptop that is I think a first generation intel pentium (yeah caveman era).   Not sure what you mean by the boot menu, I did push a button to give me the option to boot from a certain area I think it was the F9 button to get to that area to choose and I did have the option to choose the cd/dvd drive.   Sorry it is really late and I have been up all of last night with my computer trying to get it to work. 

I think I am going to take it to a computer shop tomorrow and see if they can recover the files off my hard drive and maybe see what is going on and how to fix it, my wonderful son is going to pay for it.  Yay for an early next years mother's day gift.

HP Recommended

Yes, I understand that not everyone is a DIY PC technician. It may be best at this point for you to take it to a repair shop. Sorry I couldn't help you more. Best of luck.

HP Recommended

You helped as much as was possible when you can't be here to see what is going on or to be able to get inside my computer.

So thank you very much for all the help you did provide.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.