Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 290-a00
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fails to install Windows 10 1909. Taking hours.  Finally get to a Black screen with mouse Pointer. Back out last update which takes us back to version 1809.

Keeps happening, even with registry entry for no auto update.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HP Slimline 290-a00xx what is XX you left off full model and no product ID # told, nor if boot drive is HDD or SSD.

A0046 has 1TB HDD, see , why true models matter, TMM.   tell what you own first.

and if this is a MS push notification upgrade,  (not done by your    own  hands,  )

56 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD .some models have this, a0005 does.  does yours, if yes, problem is MS. only.

fresh install or what? (no details or context of what is going on shared)

using what method, DVD, USB stick both from MS web site and USB install builder,  ive no idea how you tried this.

or he F12 recovery

or other media from say off ebay or amazon

or from any ISO anywhere on earth but not HP and no MS>  see  that, vast numbers of sources most are wrong.

from the likes of (torrent sites?)

now how to install fresh  windows 10,  most or many udates fail for lots of reasons even too long a jump

like 1809 to 1908 is huge and 20H0 is current so you are not current, with your media builds.

1809 is from this year november 13, 2018 (why did this happen , PC turned off for 2 long years?)_

I guess this is MS push failing IDK what. l can not see you  or your screen, so sorry.

do fresh install, w10 to w10 , called and INLINE upgrade a w10 magic trick loved buy all that hate w7.

the click keep apps and data

boot it and at end of phase 1 do not all any USB drives plugged in, nor allow DVD disks in the tray. nor external HDD pressent.

the when it tells you time to reboot, let it do what per above. line.

then in phase 2 if complete the job.

now about HDD.

do you have so old HDD in there that fails smart testing.  if yes it will never run right or install correctly ever.

I run this great free app

https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/

100% free, 100% safe and true free not fake free cripplerware junk, NOT THIS, I own there other products too and life license on those, but this is free.

https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup/

if any line on the C: drive shows fail the HDD IS NO GOOD for 100% sure,  buy new drive  or get SSD

The HDD must be good, first. 1st things 1st, or spend a week doing nothing.

if I had it and HDD was good, I'd fresh load w10,  seen large  jump upgrades fail for sure long closeted PC not used.

1909 is 1 year old

November 12, 2019

why this old? my wild guess PC had no working internet for 2 long years?
4 major revision behind, why?
NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Full model is 290-a0015se.  It has a hard drive.  Could it need a bios or firmware upgrade?

HP Recommended

@Lee139 

Sorry you didn't get any more replies, so let me see if I can help.

A PC that old will not have any current BIOS or firmware updates, and even if it did, those would have to be run using an OS version no longer on the PC, so they would not install.

Also, MS no longer provides downloads for Win10 v1909 -- but you are willing to do some work, there is an alternative I present  below that might work for you ...

You can try using Windows images downloaded using the tool from this site:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click the Download: Windows-ISO-Download.exe link. This will download that file to your PC. Double-click that file to run it.

Download the tool, run it, and do the following:
1) Select Windows 10 at the upper right
2) Under Select edition, select Windows 10 Home Pro under the version 1909 heading
3) Click the Confirm button
4) Select the product language, click confirm button
6) Select either the 64-bit download
7) Select a folder to save the file -- it's downloading 4GB or so of data, so that will take a while depending on the download speed. The progress bar might not show any progress but when the download is nearly done, a window will pop open indicating the ISO file is being moved from a temporary download directory to the folder you selected. The screen will then say Download Complete.

Once you have this, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

you are doing a long jump

that means microsoft does not want to do that long jump from 1809 to 20h0 up.

too far,

so you have 4  choices

1: is HDD failing SMart test, that is first on any PC near or over 5 years is it, the PC or drive, if fails that NO OS on earth runs on bad HDD. upgrade to SSD if HDD is bad. end the endless cycles of failures.

2: ask microsoft.com why there update fails it is there OS for sure.

1 TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive ( this?:)  the boot drive>?

3: run full HP diagnostics yet?>

4: read the windows event logs,  and see why the update failed, google w10 event log

HP Recommended

#5 , no leave bios alone or brick the PC with 2 problems

get the new, w10. from MS> see free media builder to USB memory boot stick

boot the stick like it tells you do do

then as it installs do and INPLACE upgrade;. w10 to w10 , this too can work,

click the question, keep my data and apps !!!!!

this inplace upgrade is covered at microsoft. com. where else. ?

all above assume the HDD is not failing smart tests, NO OS on earth run ok on any bad HDD or SSD or M.2 boot drive.

ever.  so  that means test it first, not 5 times later, loading w10 over and over, wasting you time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.