Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion AIO PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sister upgraded this computer to Windows 10 a while ago and didn't create a backup or recovery media; now the hard drive has to be replaced.  Since the hard drive is bad how can I find the Miscrosoft Key for the OS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since this PC was upgraded to Windows 10, it is not necessary to find the key for the OS.  Assuming the hard drive failed and you are not going to try to retrieve any data from the old drive, then go to the M$ MEDIA CREATION TOOL, using a differenct PC, and scroll down to the "Download tool now" button to make the desired creation USB, DVD, or ISO.  Read the info concerning "Using the tool to create installation media..."  Once that is created, use that install media to install Windows 10 on the new hard drive.  You might consider getting the drivers from the HP driver download site for that model, while on that other PC, in case the Windows 10 install media cannot find suitable drivers for the various components of that AIO.

Once the install starts, even if it asks for a Windows 10 key, tell it to skip that and continue with the install.  Once it has completed and connected to the internet, it will activate itself, because the PC was already Windows 10 activated.  That is assuming the only thing changed is the hard drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI.

Just install the same operating system that comes from the factory, the key is stored in the bios, so you do not need to have the key in a written document. When installing remember to skip each step the key once completed The installation of a system and will be activated.

Regards

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
HP Recommended

Since this PC was upgraded to Windows 10, it is not necessary to find the key for the OS.  Assuming the hard drive failed and you are not going to try to retrieve any data from the old drive, then go to the M$ MEDIA CREATION TOOL, using a differenct PC, and scroll down to the "Download tool now" button to make the desired creation USB, DVD, or ISO.  Read the info concerning "Using the tool to create installation media..."  Once that is created, use that install media to install Windows 10 on the new hard drive.  You might consider getting the drivers from the HP driver download site for that model, while on that other PC, in case the Windows 10 install media cannot find suitable drivers for the various components of that AIO.

Once the install starts, even if it asks for a Windows 10 key, tell it to skip that and continue with the install.  Once it has completed and connected to the internet, it will activate itself, because the PC was already Windows 10 activated.  That is assuming the only thing changed is the hard drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

> now the hard drive has to be replaced.

Is it "dying" or is it "dead" ?

If the former, you may be able to use "disk-cloning" software to copy everything from that disk-drive to a brand-new disk-drive, and then boot Windows from that drive.

Otherwise, since Windows 10 was installed, Microsoft took a "digital fingerprint" of your hardware, giving you an "entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10 (on the new disk-drive) *WITHOUT* needing to enter any product-key.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.