Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
t530
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Hello All,

1. Is HP support assist, supported on HP T530 and other HP thin clients? If it is not then what would be best option to upgrade the firmware on a fleet of thin clients located remotely?

Can HPDM be used for this purpose instead of HP Support assist?

2. There are few T530 thin clients running on Windows 7 embedded so I would like to get those on Windows 10 IoT. These thin clients are at remote locations so I do not have physical access to the thin clients.

Can HPDM be used to push the Windows 10 IoT image from HP to these thin clients?

If the answer is yes I would really appreciate if you all can share your experience and comments on the best way of doing this process.

3. As an ongoing process does anyone do frequent windows updates on thin clients? If so what do you guys use, HPDM or a Microsoft tools like WSUS?

Again kindly explain how this is done.

Thanks in advance,

Dhanushka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have no knowledge of HP Support Assist.  Here is some information from the HPDM perspective.  Functionally HPDM supports deploying Win10 IoT OS onto WES7 thin clients.  Before that, you might want to check if your units were purchased with the license to allow the OS change.

To deploy a Win10 IoT to WES7, follow below steps:

1. From HPDM Console go to Template > Import > HP Update Center

2. Find the latest Win10 IoT OS image for t530

3. Generate a template (Follow the prompt and on the last page with one or more checkbox for OS tabs, select WES7)

4. Wait till the template finish transferring.

5. Send this template to a thin client to change the OS.  Once finished your thin client will appear in the Win10 IoT OS tab.

For Windows Updates, you can either enable update from thin clients or follow a similar process to generate templates from HP Update Center.  The main decision points are:

1. Generating templates download only once from MS, and later all between your network infrastructure.

2. You have control on when to deploy the update from Server side.

Hope this helps.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HPI.
**Light the thumb up if you like my post**

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have no knowledge of HP Support Assist.  Here is some information from the HPDM perspective.  Functionally HPDM supports deploying Win10 IoT OS onto WES7 thin clients.  Before that, you might want to check if your units were purchased with the license to allow the OS change.

To deploy a Win10 IoT to WES7, follow below steps:

1. From HPDM Console go to Template > Import > HP Update Center

2. Find the latest Win10 IoT OS image for t530

3. Generate a template (Follow the prompt and on the last page with one or more checkbox for OS tabs, select WES7)

4. Wait till the template finish transferring.

5. Send this template to a thin client to change the OS.  Once finished your thin client will appear in the Win10 IoT OS tab.

For Windows Updates, you can either enable update from thin clients or follow a similar process to generate templates from HP Update Center.  The main decision points are:

1. Generating templates download only once from MS, and later all between your network infrastructure.

2. You have control on when to deploy the update from Server side.

Hope this helps.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi DM-AJ

Many thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, there is no option called  HP update center. All I see is as per the screenshot below.

clipboard_image_0.png

This is Device manager 4.7 BTW.

I can not use HP FTP software component browser either as it times out after 10-15 minutes.

It shows some items but eventually gets times out before showing any Images or Windows updates.

clipboard_image_1.png

Regards,

Dhanushka

HP Recommended

Hi Dhanushka,

The HP FTP Software Component Browser is deprecated.  Please update your HPDM to the latest service pack.  You can choose between SP12 or SP11.  If you have time you can also try HPDM 5.0 in a testing env.

The HP Update Center will list items much faster and you will be able to filter on multiple columns to quickly find the OS image you need.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Dhanushka,

The full support of T530 thin clients came with 4.7 SP8.  Whilst the agent on the factory image ensures only updating itself.  So please don't forget to update agent on all thin clients after you upgrade the HPDM installation.  You can simply enable the built-in auto-update agent rule to achieve that.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi DM-AJ

Thanks again for your prompt responses.

1. The environment has a multiple number of thin clients AS LISTED BELOW.

T530

T520

T510

T5630W

T5740

If I upgrade to the latest SP will it cause any issues with the older models ?

2. The agent update via HPDM: will the auto update feature reboot the thin clients?

Regards,

Dhanushka

HP Recommended

Hi Dhanushka,

1. We don't drop support in service packs.  So upgrading to a newer service pack will not remove any function for older models.

2. Yes, update agent needs reboot the system to apply.  In newer service packs you can modify task parameters for every single rule.  Among the options, there is one to allow excluding working hour on thin clients.  With that enabled, you can avoid rebooting during working hour.  

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi DM-AJ

Thanks again.

I have downloaded SP12  and installed successfully.

As a final request can you let me know some good reference documents/reading materials/Blog s etc.  that I should go through as I am quite new to HPDM and want to get this going correctly.

Regards,

Dhanushka

HP Recommended

Hi Dhanushka,

You probably want to have a glance at the Admin Guide to get an overview of what HPDM can do.  For specific topics, you can refer to whitepapers.  Their links are available from console > main menu > Help.

Please feel free to post your question in this forum.  With the key word HPDM in title, content or tag I'll be able to see it and try to help.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Fantastic, many thanks for all your assistance  DM-AJ.

Have a good one!

Regards,

Dhanushka

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.