Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My father passed away a month ago. He didn't tell anyone, including my mom his password. He disabled built-in admin account and we don't know he's password. I tried to reinstall Windows 10 but it requires the administrator's password.

Would like some help please.
I've gotta record something for a school competition and I can't record it using a basic user account.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Afiq5404.

I am not certain if you can actually reset it to Win 10, but you can see what comes up when you start the Recovery.  You can always cancel the install if it isn't for Win 10.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Afiq5404, welcome to the forum.

You have my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father.

Here is the only guide that HP furnishes for recovey lost passwords.  I hope it helps.  They don't funish more because we can't confirm that the member is the actual owner of the computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Thank you for understanding my grief. But, is there any other way to reset Windows 10 or anyrhing at all that resets the whole computer so that I can start from scratch? Therefore creating a new admin account.
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Afiq5404.

Do you have the Recovery media for the computer?  I believe you could use it to change the password.  If not, if you will furnish the model of it I will see if the media is available from HP.

HP Recommended
My dad already made a backup external hard disk, but it requires his password to do so. So, can I reset the computer from the boot menu? Or will it remove Windows 10 also? If so, can I find how to copy my Windows 10 or simply Re-install it once I finish wiping my drives?
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Afiq5404.

I am not certain if you can actually reset it to Win 10, but you can see what comes up when you start the Recovery.  You can always cancel the install if it isn't for Win 10.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot! I've resetted my computer and I am starting from scratch! I owe you one!
HP Recommended

1. First you can create a Windows 10 installation disk with USB.

2. And then boot your computer from the USB installation disk.

3. Press "Shift + F10" to bring out the Command Prompt windows.

4. Use the command to replace a application with cmd.exe. (I have forgotten the command, you can search on the net.)

5. Reboot your computer to the login screen, and then click on the application you have replaced with cmd.exe.

6. And then you can remove the user account password with the command: net user <user name> "".

7. Reboot the computer, and then you can get into your computer Windows 10 system without password.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.