Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6733w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My goal is to complete a full image backup of the disk on this machine.

I’ m using backup software Macrium Reflect this software schedules the backup and has a feature to wake up the machine if it is turned off.

Is this machine wake on LAN (WoL) capable?

What steps are needed to configure the machine to allow it to wake-on-LAN so the backup software runs as scheduled?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you doing operating system backups to NAS?

HP may include BIOS network boot options in the Security Menu.

I don't know if a consumer PC is going to work with saving operating system images to NAS.

Could be sticking my foot in mouth. Never tried this on a consumer PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Edgar47 

Personally, I would advise against doing what you plan to do.

First, the network speed is going to dramatically affected the backup duration.  I regularly do 20 GB backups to a local SSD in 15 minutes or less, but if you're doing backups of an entire PC, say 80GB or more, and you're doing that over a 1GB network, you could be looking at HOURS of time.

Second, MR will not keep the PC awake to run the backup if you have it set to sleep or hibernate.  So, you are running the risk of having the machine shut down before the backup is finished.

Third -- here is an article from the MR forums about using a NAS:  https://forum.macrium.com/Topic10440.aspx

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.