Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

get an used G2 280 MicroTower V7Q80EA. Good condition, working well. Untill i tried to replace hard disk with a Seagate SkyHawk 8TB. At start, everytime, bios said error 3F1. Hard disk is working good on other circumstances. Tested short/long/smart... all good.
Attach screen.
What can i do?
Thanks

20231205_233955.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

i used a pcie controller (17€ online). Now HP G2 boot fine and Seagate 8TB hard drive work.
Just to know: controller is ASM1061

Thanks for suggestions!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @e_franc988 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The subject of your post states replacing the drive has failed but the body of your post states the drive is working. So I am confused.

You ran some HP Diagnostics on the drive with good results. But you continue to get the 3F1 error at startup.

Have you run extensive HDD tests on this drive?

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults. See how it goes.

I have no idea why you get a 3F1 BIOS error at startup if limited HP Diagnostics tests state this 8 TB drive is good.

Download and run Crystal Disk Info to see what this software has to say about the condition of the drive if Windows can mount this drive. Also download and run Crystal Disk Mark to check drive performance.

Opinions or troubleshooting suggestions in this response are provided independently. I am not employed by: HP, Inc. or the HP Forum.

Regards

HP Recommended

There is a possibility that PC is old enough to not accept a 8TB drive straight out of the box.  Since there is no mention of doing anything to the drive before connecting to this computer, it might need to be formatted.  FYI: if the PC is old enough to not see the drive, it might need to be formatted and partitioned first.

Read this guide

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/setup-user-guides/hp-280-g2-microtower-pc/model/8741824?sku=V7Q...

Pick the GPT Hard Disk Drives for HP Business from that page.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

Seagate 8T drive is working because work well installed in another desktop pc. Seagate 8TB Drive pass with success all tests i did on it, Seagate/Hp Diagnostics, long/short. 

I also reset BIOS and update it to last one. (A0.58 Rev.A - 06/06/2021)

HP Recommended

Hi @e_franc988 

I don't know what is happening.

Check out @TheOldMan's suggestions.

A 3F1 error should not relate to a drive capacity problem. This error relates to a Smart hard drive error.

This drive works in a different PC. You got a pass on diagnostic tests. 

Check this Site to review HP suggested 3F1 troubleshooting errors.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan,

Thanks for tips. I tried to connect the Seagate 8TB drive formatted and partitioned in different ways:

1) totally unformatted

2) formatted with ext4

3) partially formatted in FAT32 (25GB) and partially unformatted (rest of memory)

All this time, error 3F1 come out.

I also tried to connect a 500GB hard drive on SATA_1 port and Seagate 8TB drive on SATA_2 port. Same result, error 3F1 (obv on hard disk 2)

I'm worried about elderness of PC, as you said.....

I also try do deactivate hard disk checks on startup but i didn't find anything about that in BIOS.

Maybe using an additional pci express sata controller can fix the issue?

Thanks for help!

HP Recommended

I also did a S.M.A.R.T. check with Seagate Tools (booted from USB) and hard disk pass the test.

Btw it's impossible on HP Bios deactivate hard disk control checks.

I'm amazed that with the BIOS update in 2021 HP didn't add compatibility with high capacity hard drives.

HP Recommended

Hi @e_franc988 

Again, I don't know.

You should have full access to the 8 TB disk if the BIOS is current and you are using GPT.

I don't believe the 3F1 error has anything to do with drive capacity.

Regards

HP Recommended

I agree with @Bill_To  on the error not being related to the hard drive size.

It certainly could be the possibility that the controller does not work properly and using a PCIx controller may work.

If you don't mind doing that experiment, I would be interested to hear how that turns out.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

i used a pcie controller (17€ online). Now HP G2 boot fine and Seagate 8TB hard drive work.
Just to know: controller is ASM1061

Thanks for suggestions!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.