Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Media Center m8277c Desktop PC #GN689AA

Hello All,

We have an old desktop computer that will not start up properly anymore. We were really hoping to get some old photos off of the computer if possible. I'm not opposed to paying but I'd rather not lug it around during these crazy virus times if it's not even possible (or maybe I could do it myself??).

The computer turns on but it has lines through the screen. It gives me the option to start in safe mode (if you can read through the lines). If I just let it try to start normally it doesn't work. I can't quite make out what it's saying.

VideoCapture_20200411-124548.jpg

VideoCapture_20200411-124714.jpg

Any help for a stuck at home bored as heck rookie would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if you can start it in Safe mode.

If you can, you should be able to plug in a USB flash drive or USB hard drive, and get any files you need off the hard drive.

Worst case scenario is you get a 3.5" USB hard drive enclosure, remove the drive from the PC, plug it into the enclosure and read/copy the data from it on another windows PC.

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Toolfree-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchil...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if you can start it in Safe mode.

If you can, you should be able to plug in a USB flash drive or USB hard drive, and get any files you need off the hard drive.

Worst case scenario is you get a 3.5" USB hard drive enclosure, remove the drive from the PC, plug it into the enclosure and read/copy the data from it on another windows PC.

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Toolfree-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchil...

HP Recommended

I tried shutting it off and back on to attempt starting in safe mode, unfortunately it did not give me the option this time. It's kinda frozen. I'll try ordering the enclosure you suggested and see if I can get them that way. It's not very expensive at all so worth the try. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are able to get what you want off the drive, you can format the drive, and use the setup as a portable hard drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.