Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23-k000a All In One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

What options do I have to help a mate who's Envy won't boot please?

Windows Advanced Troubleshooting StartUp doesn't fix the issue, just goes around in circles.

HP StartUp Diagnostics say HDD failed Short DST, & then said replace HDD when tried Extended Test.

No recovery discs created. Mate thinks he upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10.

If HDD replaced, is Windows key in the 2nd internal USB memory stick?

HP don't seem to have any drivers or software online for this model. I have Win 10 x 64 install DVD.

I have some old 3rd party Boot Recovery CDs for Win XP & HDD attempt repair programs that worked when C drive to be fixed. But I can't get Envy to boot from CD in CD Drive connected via USB.

I have a USB to SATA connector I could use on his HDD out of the All In One. If just worked now to copy User folder to my Win 10 desktop. Old HDD recognised, then not, so very touchy.

I use Acronis True Image to make disc image, but don't know if that would work on a failing HDD, or if any point in doing that?

Any thoughts please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Considering everything, I would just install the new hard drive and install Windows 10 from the Microsoft site and just see what it assigns for drivers.  It new media seems much better at finding drivers for most everything.  If, by chance it does not find them all -  you can look at device manager to see what might be missing, then you can find what is needed on the HP site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-recline-23-k000-touchsmart-all-in-one-deskt...

If that does not display all of the drivers, then there is a small bit of work to find them.  When I first went there, it  more or less says there are not drivers.  BUT click on the "pick OS manually" then you will pick Windows as the OS and then Windows 8.1 as the version from the right hand column - then there are all of the drivers, BIOS files, etc.

So see how that goes and report or ask for more help.  Glad to be of assistance.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If the PC was upgraded to Windows 10, then you will not need the Windows product key as Windows 10 uses a digital key.

Go ahead and replace the hard drive and then use this media from Microsoft to reinstall Windows 10

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB. Use this new media to install Windows 10.
When the install asks for the product key, click the "I don't have a product key" option to continue,
then the install will continue. It will be activated once it connects to the internet, as it uses a digital key.

You can try using Acronis True Image to make disc image of the old drive while using the USB to SATA adapter.  I have actually done that before and it worked - BUT - it depends on the old hard drive and what the actual failure is.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks The Old Man. I've already made a Win 10 install DVD.
I'm worried about finding drivers though, especially as the All In One has BIOS is dated July 2013 & I can't find on HP Support website, & I have no idea of what components make up the computer.

The HDD connected to my Win 10 desktop by USB to SATA cable 2nd go, & winver shows the drive is 21H1, so was updated to Win 10. After adding myself in Security permissions, I copied User folder for the mate (computer owner), except files with errors eg "The cloud file provider is not running" which seems to relate to One Drive files - I'll ask computer owner in the morning.

Rather than run Acronis True Image, I'm wondering if SpinRite or HDD Regenerator, or HDD manufacturer's program would have a program that might fix bad sectors good enough to boot the All In One one last time to look at Device Manager? The drive has Samsung Spinpoint on it, but then Mfd by Seagate Tech. Or that a waste of time if install Win 10 can get online & is good at finding drivers?

I thought it unusual that I couldn't find drivers on HP website, but maybe I need to search more generally eg Envy 23 might all have same components??

Thanks again for any help you can give

HP Recommended

Considering everything, I would just install the new hard drive and install Windows 10 from the Microsoft site and just see what it assigns for drivers.  It new media seems much better at finding drivers for most everything.  If, by chance it does not find them all -  you can look at device manager to see what might be missing, then you can find what is needed on the HP site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-recline-23-k000-touchsmart-all-in-one-deskt...

If that does not display all of the drivers, then there is a small bit of work to find them.  When I first went there, it  more or less says there are not drivers.  BUT click on the "pick OS manually" then you will pick Windows as the OS and then Windows 8.1 as the version from the right hand column - then there are all of the drivers, BIOS files, etc.

So see how that goes and report or ask for more help.  Glad to be of assistance.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The Old Man, I used HDD Regenerator program install on my desktop to "fix" All in One's HDD attached via USB to SATA cable. The result was 30 "delay" sectors, but none bad. That program then recommended run itself from USB with HDD as internal drive, so I did that on All In One. Result seems to be after 2 runs of HDD Regenerator that HDD fixed now. For how long is a question, so mate has ordered a new HDD, & I'll install as per your advice above.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Well that is interesting.  I do not know the HDD Regenerator program, but I would not quite trust the drive anymore.  It is good that you are going to change it.

Thanks

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, The Old Man, I wouldn't trust the drive anymore either.

And I've decided to install Win 10 from DVD on new HDD as u suggested, hoping it can find most drivers from internet. I could use Acronis True Image now to make an image of existing drive, & clone that to new HDD, but I wouldn't know if some errors still lurking around on old drive.

Years ago I used SpinRite program to revive a HDD or 2, preferring it to HDD Regenerator, but the price of former has increased, so I used HDD Regenerator this time.

Thanks again for your advice

HP Recommended

Sure, glad to help.  Let me know how this turns out.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.