Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 27 All In One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

The other day after turning on our desktop, we were hit with a blue screen that said YOUR PC RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART. There was a Stop Code of ; BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

I made several attempts to correct the issue, however I don't want to loose out on our personal items. 

If you can help please let me know.

Thank you in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

How to Retrieve Windows Files Using a Linux Live CD/DVD or USB.

You can create your own CD/DVD or USB using Rufus or AnyBurn software, with a downloaded .iso file, even use family/friends PC if needed. Sometimes a local store has a Magazine with a Linux Cover Disk attached, or you can buy, from the internet, a pre-made media for a few quid.

A Live (nothing installed to overwrite anything on the Hard Disk Dive, or to stress the unit unnecessarily) USB provides a way to use readily available LinuxMint on a PC, desktop or laptop, without installing it to the Hard Disk Drive, but allowing it to run in Memory (RAM).

I’m going to stick to the USB stick type, since many PC’s don’t have CD/DVD drives any-more (although the principle still works).
The hardware is 2 USB sticks, one an 8 GB for the OS (some OS’s will fit onto a 650Mb CD and others a 4.2 Gb DVD), and the other, bigger than the amount of data to recover, EG:-256 Gb USB, or an actual disk drive in a caddy should that be preferred.

Getting a suitable Linux Operating System (Distribution or Distro for short) is easy, either from here or an actual OS site like…LinuxMint, the creation process DESTROYS ALL THE DATA absolutely and finally on the OS target Stick.

Just format the larger capacity USB normally and name it something sensible (FAT32_VFONE).

Once created you boot from the stick, ESC and F9 is quite usual, but not all PC’s are created equal. It takes a few minutes and is not very responsive compared to an installed version of the OS (it does not install on your PC and therefore running in RAM can be a little lumpy).

But using the RAM and CPU it will present a Desktop with C:\Windows visible if at all possible.

Then you get a desktop that’s not completely alien I hope. Bottom Left use the Menu just as you would the MS Windows equivalent.

Click on that to open it and the listing to the left of the screen should show the something sensibly named (FAT32_VFONE) USB stick and other Partitions. Folders files etc etc. Mine is called Windows and is ‘/dev/sda3’ /media/lbb/…Windows incidentally.

Usually the data you want is in C:\Users under the appropriate user name, but not necessarily, so navigate as you would in an MS OS. The drag and drop feature is exactly the same, as will be the “several hours” to write them out to a USB stick, unless there is only a small amount of data that you actually need. NB:- Battery should be fully charged if appropriate. Right-click and Copy the files. Right-click and Paste the files.

Satisfied with the end result, that your precious DATA/Files are on your USB drive, ready to Re-Install on your computer once it’s fixed. Close down the File Manager and look for the SHUTDOWN button menu, bottom left corner and click and select shutdown as is your usual practice.

Another window will open with some choices on how you can log out. Click on Turn Off Computer.

Once the PC is shut down, remove your USB drives and put them away for safekeeping, until your PC is up and running again.

A screenshot of my installed LinuxMint, with “Gparted” and “Files” already open, and a USB stick (FAT32_VFONE) attached for BackUp files.

Mint W10 Recovery Pic.png
Longer, far more eloquent, guides (HOW2’s) are here…
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me, I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. Not sure if the information that you provided is just over whelming. 

From what i read it is a how to retrieve files from my desktop that I'm unable to log into at this time. 

After I Power On the first and only thing I get to see is the blue screen with Stop Code Message. I then have an option to use Restart or Advance Options... The restart does nothing but bring me right back to this screen.

If I choose the Advance options it brings me to another window;

CONTINUE - Exit and continue to Windows Recovery Environment - Which is just where I came from

USE A DEVICE - Use a USB drive, network connection or Windows recovery DVD

USE ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM - Continue with another installed version of Windows - 2 options neither one works

TROUBLESHOOT - Reset your PC or see advanced options 

TURN OFF YOU PC  

These are the options that are given. 

HP Recommended

Hi

USE ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM

Only relevant if you have access to a working PC.

Step 1 small empty USB.

Step 2 download a Live linux.

etc etc.

OR

W8 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.png

Command prompt.

X: Dir C:\

etc etc.

So where would you like to start (I don't actually know your circumstances)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.