Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I came to my computer today to find my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw screen frozen on hp logo and energy star icon.

I've restarted it several times via the power button and by trying to pull the cord and restart.

I've attempted to update the firmware with HP's firmware update utility but it stops with:

Problem found:

1. Check that your device is: -Connected to your computer, Powered On, Not in an error State

Well, it's connected via wireless and powered on but it the screen is frozen. (Is this an error state?)

2. Clear any error states

3. Click Start Again.

I can get to the printers web-based utility by browsing to it's IP address and It seems that I am able to print, however, the touch screen is non-responsive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@glen4cindy

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers & meet like minded tech enthusiasts! 

As I understand the printer touchscreen is unresponsive,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you attempted a hard reset on the printer to fix the issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Try to print. If the issue persists, check this:

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@glen4cindy

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers & meet like minded tech enthusiasts! 

As I understand the printer touchscreen is unresponsive,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you attempted a hard reset on the printer to fix the issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Try to print. If the issue persists, check this:

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the information!

Since I was unable to perform the firmware update when connected via wireless or network, I decided to attempt it with the USB plugged in.

This worked and my printer is back in full operation!

I was not looking forward to having to buy a new printer, especially since all 4 toners are 50% plus right now!

Thanks for all the help!

HP Recommended

@glen4cindy

Thank you for the update, 😄

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Perhaps I could get some assistance with this same problem I'm having with my identical printer. It works as a printer from my iPhone and my Windows 10 64 bit PC but the touch panel is dead. After boot-up I only get the HP and EnergyStar logos.

Tried the USB method to update the software but have the same problem with that. Any other tips I could try? I have full set of new orginal toner cartridges and really would not want to chuck the device at this point.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, wondering if the private message you sent worked?..

HP Recommended

the touch screen is non-responsive

HP and energy star logo

what to do

HP Recommended

Hi I have exact same issue.  Ther printer worked fine until I did a firmware update (which reported successfull).  Switching on bring the HP + Energy star logo without any firther progress.  but the embedded network, printing is all working fine.

I tried the hard reset (Unplug power cord while device turned on etc), but no difference.

HP Recommended

Hi, I find it bizarre that you had to send a private message to finalize this on an open help forum. Either way, can you please send me the same private message so I can continue troubleshooting my printer?

Jean-Eric 

HP Recommended

@Jean-Eric

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you getting the same error message? Also, please mention your Printer name.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.