Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elite Slice
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does a HP Elite Slice has a Recovery Partition? My Slice is not booting. How can I recover it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi
Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type msinfo32 Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

W7 and W10 Repair.png

HP Recommended

@gilbertw 

Understand that the "recovery" approach essentially erases the entire contents of the hard drive and reintalls Windows from scratch.  Meaning -- you lose everything in the process.

A less drastic approach, which MIGHT work, is repairing the Windows boot files.  This will not remove anything and if it does work, your PC will be back in working order.

You will need access to a working PC for this step in order to create the media needed to repair your PC boot loader.

Once you have that, please download and create Win10 install media from this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

You will need to go to the Advanced Options screen and click on Startup Repair. You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

When done, your PC should boot OK. If it does not, there is a more serious problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have a recovery USB stick. Can I recover the system from it and how?

HP Recommended

@gilbertw 

A "recovery" stick normally does not actually "recover" anything -- so the name is misleading.  It implies that you boot from that stick, run the recovery, and your PC is back to the way it was before the current problem. This is not the case.

If this came from HP, then it will start out be reformatting your drive, essentially removing everything on it -- which is why I suggested the alternative approach, which is less destructive.

If it did NOT come from HP, then I have no idea, as I have no way of knowing HOW that Recovery stick is going to work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

While I createdd the installation USB stick, I tried to boot the Slice from Acronis ISO from another USB stick.

From the BIOS, I made this USB the first boot option before Window Boot Manager and saved the cahnges. However, when it booted, it had no effect. I got HP logo and a few dots going in a circle for 30 seconds, all LEDs went out for 1 second and then the HP logo and dots came back. It went into a loop.

From HP UEFI, I could see this USB stcik. I tried to boot from it. It went to the HP logn plus dots loop again.

Now the installation USB stick is ready. How can I boot from it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.