Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've managed to get the screen back on but it's just all light blue with nothing there at all apart from the mouse icon :Crying:

I have also tried your method to shutdown the computer but unfortuantley nothing happens :Crying:

HP Recommended

Don't lose faith, we'll get there.

I don't like doing this two often but you have no choice, shut it down via the power button.

Now you will do a hard reset per these instructions:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

When completed do the diagnostics as I have instructed then shut down the computer and let me know the results.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

The Laptop finally un-froze after one hour and 50 minutes and I just switched it straight off. I'm going to put it back on then run those Diagnostics for you, get the results and switch it off again, is that okay? :generic:

HP Recommended

Also, Do I select: Start up test, Run In Test, System Tune Up, Hard Disk Test, Memory Test or Battery Test?

HP Recommended

Don't use the power switch to much to turn off the computer use the conventional methods wherever possible and perform the hard reset I suggested in the link.

Give me the results of the tests.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

These are the tests required  Hard Disk Test, Memory Test or Battery Test

HP Recommended

I had problems with Windows loading again as it took a very long time to boot so Ii had to reset the power button again :Crying:

However, I managed to complete the tests and the results were:

HARD DISK TEST :

Test Drive: 1

Hard Disk SMART Check: PASSED

Hard Disk Short DST: FAILED

FAILURE ID: 9UXP3F-6GK78K-MFPX0K-60XU03

PRODUCT ID: C6M50EA#ABU

Hard Disk 1

BATTERY TEST:

Battery Test: Primary - Passed (0)

MEMORY TEST:

Processor Check: PASSED

Memory Test: PASSED

HP Recommended

Sorry Cammy, not the news I wanted to hear and neither will you.  :Crying:

It appears that your hard disk is failing and will have to be replaced.  That explains why it is freezing and stalling and will only get worse.  Backup your personal data.  I know you did not want to go to the repair shop but you now have no choice.  We could do a chkdsk on it but it would only be temporary and even then. 

HP Recommended

Ah what a shame :Crying: . Nnevermind, I guess there is not much else you can do when your hard drive is failing. I'll try and take it up to the repair place at the week-end and see what they can do :generic:

But even still, thanks so much for your help,I really appreciate it! At least we gave a good shot at fixing it right? :manvery-happy:

If i did the chkdsk how long would the laptop be able to work for, before it ran in to problems again?

HP Recommended

Morning Cammy, not a great way to start the day :Crying:

The Chkdsk may or may not offer temporary relief, like all things electronic they can go at any time.  Should you wish to try use this use option one from this tutorial:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6221-chkdsk-check-drive-errors-windows-8-a.html

As I have mentioned earlier, back up your data before it becomes a big paper weight.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.