Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Folks... please don't mark an answer as a "solution" or "solved", if it is not actually fixing the problem.  We want to make sure HP see this as a problem that still needs to be fixed.  if it is marked as "solved", then they might not see it as needing more action on their part.

HP Recommended

TSForrest, there's a lot of activity in the other thread.

I've been able to reproduce the BSOD with the same exact error (and memory addresses) by trying to shut down "real-time protection" in the Windows Security GUI.  Luckily it doesn't pop me into a boot loop, but seems to definitely point to an issue with Windows Defender and HP computers.  I've used the registry method to disable Windows Defender and installed 3rd party protection for now.  Wish me luck, as everything was fine for around a week before yesterday's BSOD.........still no official word from HP though.

HP Recommended

You are correct, that antivirus software could also be the culprit.  Unfortunately for me, I have tried McAfee, Norton, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes on this PC, and I was having this problem regardless of the antivirus software used.  Now, there is still a chance that there are more than one cause for this problem. for all the folks having a similar issue, who are reading these posts.  So, if someone reading this is having this problem, trying an alternate antivirus software could help.  However, the behavior I am seeing on *my* PC lends me to believe it is something other than antivirus, for me.  I even tried turning off the Windows Ransomeware functions, and the early-loading of AV software (forgetting the proper term) that allows some AV apps to load earlier in the boot process, to protect from some lower-level threats.

Thanks for replying with your results, Keiichi!  I had not mentioned AV software at all, and there is a chance that it could help someone else having a similar issue.  I hope that fixes the BSOD error problem for you and other people!

HP Recommended

@TSForrest wrote:

You are correct, that antivirus software could also be the culprit.  Unfortunately for me, I have tried McAfee, Norton, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes on this PC, and I was having this problem regardless of the antivirus software used.  Now, there is still a chance that there are more than one cause for this problem. for all the folks having a similar issue, who are reading these posts.  So, if someone reading this is having this problem, trying an alternate antivirus software could help.  However, the behavior I am seeing on *my* PC lends me to believe it is something other than antivirus, for me.  I even tried turning off the Windows Ransomeware functions, and the early-loading of AV software (forgetting the proper term) that allows some AV apps to load earlier in the boot process, to protect from some lower-level threats.

Thanks for replying with your results, Keiichi!  I had not mentioned AV software at all, and there is a chance that it could help someone else having a similar issue.

Your theory of the drivers could hold true as well, as it might be a combination of HP Drivers and AV together.  Prior to disabling Windows Defender, I also did the following to disable the background Windows Driver Updates that happen even if Windows Updates is disabled:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a....

I have now re-enabled them while keeping Defender disabled to try and pinpoint the issue.

HP Recommended

This is not a valid solution in my opinion.

HP Recommended

Guys if you continue the discussion in this thread

There is a better thread with possible solutions in here if you go and take a look there could be solutions for you.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OSandSW&message.id=178497#M178497

There is a better chance the HP will actually get involved with the volume and activity. If it is spread out thin then they will not

HP Recommended

Everyone,

Make sure once you've reset your computer and disabled further windows updates to go into settings --> updates & security --> windows update --> view update history --> uninstall updates --> and make sure the update with the code (KB4556799) is not installed. If it is make sure and disable.

Copying article here but this certain update seems to be causing problems with all types of computers and not just HPs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/21/microsoft-windows-10-warning-crashes-bsod-chrome...

Performed this trick and have not run into any issues yet. I'll keep you all updated.

HP Recommended

@tjbrinker wrote:

Everyone,

Make sure once you've reset your computer and disabled further windows updates to go into settings --> updates & security --> windows update --> view update history --> uninstall updates --> and make sure the update with the code (KB4556799) is not installed. If it is make sure and disable.

Copying article here but this certain update seems to be causing problems with all types of computers and not just HPs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/21/microsoft-windows-10-warning-crashes-bsod-chrome...

Performed this trick and have not run into any issues yet. I'll keep you all updated.

Many of us experienced the BSOD loop prior to this update.  Do you also have all the latest updates installed except for this one?  If so, can you try to manually turn off "Real-Time Protection" in Windows Security?  Once you flip the switch, if it doesn't BSOD, then flip it back and turn it back on so that you are protected again.

HP Recommended

- POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR ME - 

I don't want to call this "resolved" for me, just yet.  I've already had a few days without this issue, before, only to have it return.  However, I was having a particularly bad stretch, where I would get stuck in a bluescreen during boot loop. Perform a System Restore (in recovery options) to access the system again.  Then the problem would return a few hours later.  

I had already made sure I had all the latest drivers and updates in the HP Support Assist app.  However, when I ran the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant (Auto-Detect)" application from the Intel web site, it found an update to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" driver on my system (HP Omen Desktop PC).  After installing the updated version, I have now used my system for more than 48 hours, with NO RECURRENCE of the issue.  I also ran Windows Update to make sure I had applied any updates I had postponed during this troubleshooting phase.  Now, everything is updated, and it has been over 48 hours without the problem reoccurring!  Finger crossed!  I will post an update here, stating whether or not it continues to appear to be resolved!

So, if you have not yet ran the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant (Auto-Detect)" utility, I recommend doing so, to see if there might be an updated version of any of the Intel storage, chipset, or other drivers that could be updated to possibly resolve this issue for some people?

HP Recommended

- POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR ME - 

I don't want to call this "resolved" for me, just yet.  I've already had a few days without this issue, before, only to have it return.  However, I was having a particularly bad stretch, where I would get stuck in a bluescreen during boot loop. Perform a System Restore (in recovery options) to access the system again.  Then the problem would return a few hours later.  

I had already made sure I had all the latest drivers and updates in the HP Support Assist app.  However, when I ran the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant (Auto-Detect)" application from the Intel web site, it found an update to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" driver on my system (HP Omen Desktop PC).  After installing the updated version, I have now used my system for more than 48 hours, with NO RECURRENCE of the issue.  I also ran Windows Update to make sure I had applied any updates I had postponed during this troubleshooting phase.  Now, everything is updated, and it has been over 48 hours without the problem reoccurring!  Finger crossed!  I will post an update here, stating whether or not it continues to appear to be resolved!

So, if you have not yet ran the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant (Auto-Detect)" utility, I recommend doing so, to see if there might be an updated version of any of the Intel storage, chipset, or other drivers that could be could be updated to resolve this issue for some people.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.