Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION P6 2022UK
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am trying to replace a hard drive in a pals pc who does not have any recovery disks.

The issue is that when new hard drive installed and set up in bios, windows will not install on the said drive even though drive is new, tested and working as should.  

Is there a setting in the bios to change in order for the new install to complete ?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@BERTIEBEAST 

Please provide the details of specifically what happens when you try to install windows.

Telling us it does not work is not enough information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, Sorry for late reply.

Here goes:

Faulty hard drive replaced with new one:

Hard drive excepted in bios:

Gets to windows set up and goes through creating partition, sets partition to point of "system" then partition for windows, then stops with, "windows cannot be installed on this drive.

1) window's cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has MBR partition table. On EFI systems windows can only be installed on a GPT disk.

2) used Diskpart to "clean" and convert to GPT. 

3)WINDOWS cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to partition formatted to NTFS.

4) Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognised type.

5) create partition usisng diskpart,format to NTFS, CANNOT FORMAT and back to square one.

6) Put hard drive in another pc, GPT, partition created all ok, windows installed no problem.

7) remove hard drive,back into P6 2022UK, Same thing occurs.

😎 have set  bios to EFI only, no good, set bios to legacy , no good, tried bios settings with both enabled=no good.

The issue is definatley some sort of secure boot hidden setting as far as I can fathom that is stopping me from installing an operating system.

I am aware that there is a bios update for this pc but it needs to have a working operating system installed in order to update.

Is there away to show any hidden settings in bios to turn this security issue off so that I am free to install.

Sorry its a bit long but trying to give as much info as possible.

It is defo an issue with this p6 2022uk not allowing me to install.

Thanks for any help

HP Recommended

@BERTIEBEAST 

Actually, what MIGHT work is booting the PC from WinPE boot media and running the HP BIOS update from there.

To do that, you need to do two things:

1) Create the WinPE Boot Media

2) Download the HP BIOS update file and write it to the WinPE Boot Media

Then, boot your PC from that and see if you can run the HP BIOS update.

You will need to create Boot Media using a working PC.

Macrium Reflect is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (in disk or USB form) that can then be used to bot and/or Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick

c) Copy the HP BIOS update to the same USB stick

d) Boot your PC from the MR media -- it will take a while, so be patient!

e) When you finally get to the working desktop, use the icons at the bottom of the window to open a file manager, find the HP BIOS update file, and run it

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood,

Although I am staying out of this, I just have to ask!  This might help you.

@BERTIEBEAST,

That is a WIN 7 machine, circa 2011, has Legacy BIOS, and had a 1TB drive.

1) Are you trying to use the Recovery DVD set made for that unit? If so, it does expect a 1TB hard drive.

2) If you using a purchased retail WIN 7 (new) it would not matter.

3) It should format as NTFS.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

wb2001.

Hi and thanks for your input.

There was no recovery discs made by my friend for this pc.. (I know 😞 )

It did originally have a 1tb drive and windows home premium.

I have a western digital black 1tb drive as replacement the is all good.

Have a retail version of Windows home premium on disc and also on usb drive. Both of which  when used, ends in the same. 

I have tried with a Windows 10 pro 64bit disc and usb to no avail as keeps coming back to the same which leads me to this pc being the issue somewhere as have tested hard drive in another pc and can run windows setup easily and successfully either win 7 or win 10. 

HP Recommended

Hi WaWood.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on this. 

I will follow your suggestion in order to update the bios but have to say I feel somewhat nervous in doing so as it runs the risk of bricking the board completley which has happened in the past.

I have read that I might need to add a password in the bios, restart and then another secure boit type setting will appear in order to turn off, but that is not the case with this bios settings so stuck in this loop of trying to get windows installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.