Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community. 

I was thinking of replacing or upgrading my motherboard to suit Ryzen 3 2200g as A12 was the maximum upgrade.

Unfortunately, there is no mainboard that supports the current build and was not going to fit.

my current one is Willow2 with a Dimension of 22 X 20.5 cm.

Can it be upgraded to the Lubin motherboard? If so, can an Intel inside i5 work?

Are there any other boards out there?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Croscopic 

First off, you need to know that the copy of Windows that came preloaded on your PC is tied directly to the HP motherboard.  You replace that, you throw away the OEM license and HP is not going to provide you a second one.

So, you need to factor in the Retail cost of Windows with any motherboard replacement.

Second, not only does HP pay to customer motherboards made for their PCs, they also pay for custom power supplies to be made, as well.  So, it's likely that your PSU would not have the right cables to work with a regular, commercial motherboard, the likes of which you would get from MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc. So, you would probably have to factor in a PSU, as well.

Third, a new motherboard is likely to not only use a very different processor, but also very different memory modules. Add those to the cost.

So, in reality (I know this because I have done this with older HP desktop PCs), about all you're really keeping is the PC case -- and unless you want one of the really fancy new ones, you're looking at well under $100 to get a new case -- which is a small fraction of the total cost of a new build.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Croscopic 

First off, you need to know that the copy of Windows that came preloaded on your PC is tied directly to the HP motherboard.  You replace that, you throw away the OEM license and HP is not going to provide you a second one.

So, you need to factor in the Retail cost of Windows with any motherboard replacement.

Second, not only does HP pay to customer motherboards made for their PCs, they also pay for custom power supplies to be made, as well.  So, it's likely that your PSU would not have the right cables to work with a regular, commercial motherboard, the likes of which you would get from MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc. So, you would probably have to factor in a PSU, as well.

Third, a new motherboard is likely to not only use a very different processor, but also very different memory modules. Add those to the cost.

So, in reality (I know this because I have done this with older HP desktop PCs), about all you're really keeping is the PC case -- and unless you want one of the really fancy new ones, you're looking at well under $100 to get a new case -- which is a small fraction of the total cost of a new build.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood

Thanks for the response. 

Guess I'll just stay with my HP for a little longer before getting a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.