Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion p6-2136
Microsoft Windows XP

i have this old pavilion that i was using for windows xp things and i recently got a gtx 745 for it and its not working for anything past the "press esc to open boot menu" screen that has the blue background and after that it just goes blank even tho the fan on gpu and the cpu are still spinning and im guessing its a bios issue from the fourm posts ive read and i cant find any bios updates for windows xp 32 bit and i dont want to have to upgrade to 7 or 10 because it defeats the point of running older stuff how it was intended. i know it sounds dumb but any help?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Are you aware that Nvidia did not develop any XP graphics drivers for that model graphics card?

So even if you get the card to show an image on your monitor, the graphics will be limited to what you get with no drivers installed.

Your PC was not supported by HP for Windows XP, and there are no BIOS updates listed on the support page for W7.

HP Pavilion p6-2136 Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

In order to update the BIOS, you should install a supported operating system, which is Windows 8 64 bit.

Driver - HP Pavilion p6-2136 Desktop PC | HP® Customer Support

Use a different hard drive to install W8 64 bit on, update the BIOS, and then reconnect your hard drive with XP.

The problem would be finding a copy of Windows 8 because that was never available for download.

Windows 8.1 is, but again...not listed as supported to run the BIOS update with.

I do not recommend updating the BIOS using any other operating system but the one listed as supported because the results could be disastrous, but that is up to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.