Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillon 500

I just received an HP Pavillon 500 tower computer.

HW Bom 101

SW Bom NA80

System No: P9939A

I do not know what version of XP is on the computer. I have worked on the computer for several days, here is the situation.

When I boot,  an error message comes up stating: Error Loading OS

Del key works so I can get into setup.

F8 does work.

F10 and Escape keys do not work.

I also tried F1 to F12 but none work.

Setup sees Primary IDE Master:  WD1600-OOJVA

Primary IDE Slave  not detected (Is that the hidden portion with the XP program backup?)

Secondary IDE Master:  Samsung CD-R/RW Sw

Secondary IDE Slave:      Not detected

Thanks for time and help.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@posi

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Thank you for the details, Use this link to find your product number:
Click here (the link was broken, I have updated the same, please check it now)

And considering you are getting the message-"Error loading OS" it confirms that all you need is an OS that can load,

I recommend you Contact Microsoft and get any other version of Windows still supported by them and install it on your computer to get it back up and running.

That said, I'm afraid this would be the end of the line for me as HP doesn't support installing a retail copy of Windows into the PC.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@posi

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

I understand you have an HP Pavilion 500 with Windows XP and it doesn't boot into windows anymore.

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://hp.care/2rSuDJS;

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 
Did you know that neither HP nor Microsoft supports Windows XP anymore?

Meanwhile, please try the steps mentioned on this link: Click here ( The Same article works for Desktops as well)

Please reply with the details for further assistance. 

Eager to help!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions, unplug and push power button for 15 seconds minimum.

Then I pushed the F10 key while powering on the computer. Nothing but "error loading OS".

I can get into the Bios setup but there is no "tool" to click on.

The first link did not work, that you posted.

Cheers and thanks.

HP Recommended

Link to find product number did not work. All I could find on the computer is listed in my first post, except the serial number.

I just received the computer a week ago from a company/friend, free, so I do not know when the last time it worked.

I know XP is not supported anymore. I am hoping to get it working so I can have an off line computer to run quickbooks without fear of the computer being hacked into.

Cheers

Steve

HP Recommended

@posi

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Thank you for the details, Use this link to find your product number:
Click here (the link was broken, I have updated the same, please check it now)

And considering you are getting the message-"Error loading OS" it confirms that all you need is an OS that can load,

I recommend you Contact Microsoft and get any other version of Windows still supported by them and install it on your computer to get it back up and running.

That said, I'm afraid this would be the end of the line for me as HP doesn't support installing a retail copy of Windows into the PC.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle. I found  HP 533C. Would that be it?

I do have a disk coming, will see how it works.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@posi

Hi,

as @Riddle_Decipher is out of the office I'm replying to you. 

Sure, do keep in touch for any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I guess I could wipe the hard drive and start over, or get another hard drive. My question is that I would have to use an

HP setup disk for the computer to work, correct?? If I used a typical microsoft disk, the computer would not work?

The setup disk has to be HP?

Cheers and thanks guys.

Steve

HP Recommended

@posi

You're welcome.

If the existing hard drive is good then the same hard drive can be used to install the operating system. We recommend you to use the recovery disks (Setup disks) supplied by HP to install the operating system on your computer. But WinXP is not longer available and therefore we do not have the recovery media available for it. That said, we cannot even provide you another computer's setup copy because it will not work on your computer. 

As rightly suggested by my colleague (@Riddle_Decipher), you may check with Microsoft and get any other version of Windows still supported by them. AT the same time we cannot guarantee of the retail copy will get installed. The newer operating systems need a lot better hardware configuration. So please check the minimum system requirements before buying a retail copy.

Hope this answers your question. Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.