Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p050na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I am just curious. My HP OEM PC is Windows 10 the OEM Recovery partition has Windows 10 Version 1703 on the partition. I am currently on version 1909  just now. If factory reset the computer will I be able to upgrade from 1703 to 20H2. Because every time I install 2004 or 20H2 it crashes the recovery partition.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry I should of been more clear. Every time I install v2000 or v20H2 I get the blue screen 0xa000000f DFC187CB-A806-4377-A330-35FCA5AAB394.jpeg613BE1B2-43B2-4BB6-B5F5-BDDB021BD7B9.jpeg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Not sure what is happening. What does crashing the recovery partition mean? Are you up upgrading Windows or are you doing a clean install?

You should be able to upgrade from 1909 to 20H2 without disturbing the HP Recovery partition which contains version 1703. I don't know why you want 1703 unless you need specific HP software included in the HP factory image.

The HP software carried over from the factory image should migrate unless it is incompatible with newer versions of W10.

Regards

HP Recommended

@DJDanny8000 

Win10 Updates have a history of corrupting the HP recovery information -- that is well known -- so you are not going to get around that.

But if you want to go to Win10 v20H2, I fail to see why you want a 1703 recovery version still on your PC.

Your better approach right now is to use a third-party product to create an image backup of your current 19.09 system -- which will then allow you to experiment with different update approaches, as you will then have something current to restore FROM.

Also, once you make that backup, you would then  be able to remove the Recovery partition to free up that space for other uses.

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sorry I should of been more clear. Every time I install v2000 or v20H2 I get the blue screen 0xa000000f DFC187CB-A806-4377-A330-35FCA5AAB394.jpeg613BE1B2-43B2-4BB6-B5F5-BDDB021BD7B9.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can't find a 0xa000000f  error code when installing Windows 10 clean or updating Windows 10. The error code in your image looks like the HP Recovery partition (also per WAWood) is toasted.

As @WAWood suggested, create 1909 image on external media. Then try the upgrade to 20H2 by using the tools available at this site (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

I should’ve of made myself much clearer. What I mean can upgrade from 1703 to 20H2. If you factory reset the PC. Or do I need to upgrade the from a supported version.

HP Recommended

I understand. But I think what’s happened is Microsoft has changed the why Windows recovery works. Because the recovery partition I always worked with every version right up to 1909. Then v2004 came a long I always get error code. I know what your saying but you shouldn’t need third party recovery software.

HP Recommended

What I meant to say by crashing the partition @WAWood if I press F11 it doesn’t work. If I do a clean installation on just v2004 currently I have done a clean installation with 20H2 F11 works without the HP Recovery Service Partition 

HP Recommended

I have fixed it you guys. Know what the problem was the problem right I will start with 1 by using hp recovery kit the original version of Windows version 1703 that came shipped with the computer. I had to upgrade to Windows 2004 first before installing v20H2 because version 20H2 is basically cumulative update. That Brings me to 2 I had Norton 360 on my PC that’s why I was getting the blue screen error code 0ax00000f.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.