Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 750-055xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A couple days ago the HP Support Assistant popped up a message that a restart was required with options to do it now or do it later.  I said "later" so I could open the support assistant to see why.  Well, trying to start the assistant just caused the popup to pop up again.  So I restarted the PC and then started the assistant again.  There is nothing reported there that has been done or needs to be done.  The reason for the restart seems a complete mystery.

Any suggestions about why this happened?

Curiously,

Larry

Support Assistant v 8.4.14.41

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@larrymcg

It looks like you were interacting with @SandyTech20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

Normally, when an update running in the background is completed, the program may require a restart to ensure it's all installed and ready to use,

That said, If the issue occurs more than once or has been forcing a restart frequently, it could be an issue or a malfunction in which case the steps suggested earlier by SandyTech20 could help.

You may also check this related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@larrymcg

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP ENVY 750-055xt. I understand that you HP support assistant forced computer restart and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any hardware or software changes on your pc?

Meanwhile:

Uninstall and reinstall the HP Support Assistant.

• Click your windows button.
  • Type "uninstall a program" and press Enter.
  • Locate HP Support Assistant, right click, and select "Uninstall."
  • Download the latest version. Click here.
  • Reinstall HP Support Assistant.
  • Reboot the PC and attempt to disable the pop-up notifications once more.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, I don't think there is a problem to be solved as this forced restart has happened only once.

I was looking for a suggestion as to why the restart was requested for no apparent reason.

HP Recommended

@larrymcg

It looks like you were interacting with @SandyTech20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

Normally, when an update running in the background is completed, the program may require a restart to ensure it's all installed and ready to use,

That said, If the issue occurs more than once or has been forcing a restart frequently, it could be an issue or a malfunction in which case the steps suggested earlier by SandyTech20 could help.

You may also check this related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same concern. My printer "assistant" forcing a restart smacks of a virus masquerading as HP software. If there is a legitimate reason for this forced reboot, please advise. I have updated no software or hardware recently on my machine, nor have I even opened or used my HP Support Assistant.  This is the image my computer is displaying in the lower right hand corner.HP Support Assistant.jpg

HP Recommended

Greetings @DougD2

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that the HP Support Assistant on your computer is prompting you to restart the computer. Thanks for sharing the screenshot. 

To the best of my knowledge, the prompt is legitimate. 

HP Support Assistant regularly checks your computer for driver updates and installs it on your computer. 

Whenever there is any major driver update being installed on your computer. 

For the update to be installed correctly, the computer needs to be installed. 

If you do not want HPSA to update your computer, you can uninstall it from programs and features. 

To know more about HPSA, please click here

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have hp support assistant set to check for updates but NOT to install them.  

Further, if the support assistant did install an update without my knowledge, then the Action List should show it.  Nothing was listed.  I can see no reason for the restart request.

This has happened only once since the original event a couple weeks ago.  So this is not a persistent problem.

HP Recommended

You are dancing around the problem.  If HP thinks that they have the right to force a reboot of my computer without telling me why, they I should avoid all HP products.  

One of you "HP Experts" stated that as far as they could tell it was a valid update.  What does that mean?  Obviously it is an ongoing problem, and you or your software is not being clear.

This computer belongs to me, I paid HP for it.  If you aren't willing to explain why the software/hardware you sold to me isn't working properly then where do I request a refund?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.